Author Topic: Why do you grow onions  (Read 13583 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Why do you grow onions
« on: February 10, 2009, 14:52:57 »
Hi

This may sound a bit daft but…
I was out and about today and a shop still had loads of onions and shallots. I was tempted to buy some but I can’t quite work out why people grow onions in the 1st place. I’m growing fruit and veg, mainly for the taste, freshness and different varieties that are either difficult or expensive to get hold of. I’m planning on growing some salad onions later in the year – different varieties etc from the normal ones you get in the shops. But when it comes down to “normal” onions and shallots I don’t understand what the difference is between shop bought and the ones you grow yourselves? Is the taste really that much better? And does the taste really vary between the varieties? We eat loads of onions so I can’t see the possibility of growing all we need! And if I was to try and grow some what would you recommend?

Thanks

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: Why do you grow onions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 15:10:14 »
Because you can!

Why climb mountains? - Because they are there!

You only come back to the same place.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 15:13:20 »
I did think about putting the lines in my post "cos you can" but its not enough  ;D

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 15:21:33 »
The only reason I grow onions/garlic at the plot is so they're handy for the barbecue.  I don't see much point in growing them otherwise, like you 1066 -they're much cheaper to buy in the shops and I don't have enough space to grow enough for the rest of the year.  I reckon I must go through at least a bulb of garlic and two or three onions every couple of days.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 15:26:51 »
Although relatively cheap, onions in the shops are still quite a lot more expensive than growing your own, but there are definitely other vegetables where the margin is greater (like asparagus  :) ). Also onions aren't one of the crops that is usually heavily treated with pesticides. To grow enough, they also take up quite a lot of space. We ran out last week and most of the time there are just two of us. Pity you can't grow them vertically (hmmm, perhaps JRP will have a suggestion).

So it's good question! Probably the satisfaction of growing your own is the main reason but also with veg like onions and potatoes I tend to grow varieties that I think have particularly good flavour and are not readily available in the shops.

Last year I grew onions from seed for the first time (Pink Torpedoes) and Hercules, Red Baron and Sturon from sets.  This year I plan to grow Hercules and Kamal from sets and the following from seed: Pink Torpedo and a few each of Greek Red Salad, Red Baron, Golden Bear, and Walla Walla (and some Banana shallots).

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 15:41:18 »
This is a good question.  For me, I suppose it is because they are quite easy to grow, they keep for months, we use them a lot in cooking, you can try out different varieties and they have the added advantage of repelling aphids.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 15:41:34 »
Onions and shallots were the first crop I planted on my allotment. I will continue to grow them, store them at home in my mini greenhouse because it's convenient to have them right outside the kitchen door. I think my own taste better than the shops. Plus there is the satisfaction of eating virtually an entire meal made with your own produce.

Grown from seed it's much cheaper...and you know where they have come from  ;) and what's NOT been sprayed on them etc  ::)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 15:48:39 »
great replies!
Hadn't thought about the repelling aphids thing nor the spraying thing, so 2 more pluses there. Still debating it  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 15:54:11 »
I don't know if other peeps find this, but the onions I grow are a lot stronger than ones I buy in the shops........not sure why?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 15:57:08 »
shallots are very sweet and tasty, and expensive in the shops. plus not everywhere has them.

but i also enjoy growing onions, it's always satisfying to get a crop of something!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 16:00:17 »
Home grown onions have taste, bought ones don't! But if I was desperate for space, I might cut them out.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 16:05:48 »
i grow them for alot of the reasons already given ie:

convenience
because i enjoy growing my own 'anything'
i know where its come from and that nothing has been sprayed on it

Plus there is the satisfaction of eating virtually an entire meal made with your own produce.
that is so true :D
I don't know if other peeps find this, but the onions I grow are a lot stronger than ones I buy in the shops........not sure why?
yes i have found this as well last year the crying :'( while i was using my onions was almost painful to say the least, the liquid was milky white as well.
i don't use lots as there is a non onion eater in the family so i can normally find space, usually in the space under a rose arch which i use for my outdoor cucumbers.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 16:08:14 »
I'm planning of using milk cartons(see JRP's thread) around the edge of the plot filled with Onions, other shallow rooting veg and flowers.
At least it will save room in the beds.

Neil

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 16:43:37 »
Because I want to, because I want to.
Because at £1.30 I got 228 Stuttgart giant sets, and I reckon I'll get at least 200 good uns out of them.
Because once there in the ground they look after thereselves, no compost/manure, no feed, just a bit of water to get them started and I'm sure the sky's will look after that.
Because I don't normally find shallots in the shops but know they are expensive and at £2.48 for 53 sets I should get a return of about 230+.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 16:45:44 »
shallots are very sweet and tasty, and expensive in the shops. plus not everywhere has them.

but i also enjoy growing onions, it's always satisfying to get a crop of something!

also perpetual

get a shallot grow more from it, save a few grow more from them
no expense after the original purchase - same with garlic

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 16:55:15 »
because I have a missus who prefers veg with no added poisons!  ;) ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 17:01:23 »
because otherwise i have to get poison ones from tesco
lbb

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 17:09:16 »
They taste better, I love to make up 3 or 4 big onion strings each year and use them through the winter.  I love to see them growing all together ( although I hate weeding them... ) and organic onions can be quite expensive to buy in large quantities.

Best laid plans and all that

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 17:14:49 »
OK I'm starting to get a few more reasons now! Thanks
I have to agree that growing anything and then eating it is just fab, also knowing that it hasn't been "poisoned" is a real plus.
Thinking back I remember seeing a photo of a garden with onions (Welsh I think?) planted around the edges of the beds. Which might be a way to go on the lottie. I guess shallots are the most tempting as they are expensive and not always in my local veg shop.
Nearly sold me on the idea........
 :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 17:16:54 »
I'm planning of using milk cartons(see JRP's thread) around the edge of the plot filled with Onions, other shallow rooting veg and flowers.
At least it will save room in the beds.

Neil
can't find the post. Why milk cartons?
thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal