Author Topic: Transplantings NOT for me!  (Read 4578 times)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Transplantings NOT for me!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 21:56:32 »
GEN, someone must have told you that you live in the coldest place in England and planting direct into the soil will never give you great results.
Last year the North East had very few days where the temperature exceeded 18 deg and if you are say you live in outer NH your near the coast so you have a chill factor which reduces the temperature even more.
You really need a greenhouse with heat to be successful, setting your seeds away in trays or modules then potting them on till its warm enough to plant them out.

These Tomatoes where planted at the beginning of January

[attachment=1]

Then potted on the day after the picture was taken. They will be potted on again when i see the roots coming out of the bottom till its warm enough for them to go into their final spot

[attachment=2]

This method applies to all my plants.

Davy

p.p.p gives p.p.p and its a fact
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 22:17:16 »
Glad to see those mushroom boxes come in handy davy
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 23:06:06 »
your near the coast so you have a chill factor which reduces the temperature even more.

May I just point out that gardeners suffer from wind chill but plants do not. To lose heat due to wind implies that there is extra heat there in the first place. A plant can either hande the current air temperature or it cannot depending on the species, and will live or die accordingly.

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 05:35:59 »
Getting great help on here from you all...now I can see where I've gone wrong in the past!

Jiffy 7's, bury them deeper, hold them by their leaves.... all good stuff.

Thanks people
Gen in Northumberland where it is presently -4C
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 16:18:01 »
Things I've sowed outside with succes have included:
Tomatoes (real seed catalogue have great outdoors varieties)
courgette
dwarf beans
beetroot
calabrese
sweetcorn
Actually they were all real seed catalogue (no I'm not an employee at real seed, just really like their seed and the fact that most things can be sown outside...)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 18:21:26 »
your near the coast so you have a chill factor which reduces the temperature even more.

May I just point out that gardeners suffer from wind chill but plants do not. To lose heat due to wind implies that there is extra heat there in the first place. A plant can either hande the current air temperature or it cannot depending on the species, and will live or die accordingly.

Yes i agree with you that only us are affected by wind chill and not plants but i was refering to the ground warming up to a tempreture where the seeds would germinate.

DAVY

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 15:16:29 »
It's not really the wind that chills the coast, it's the buffering effect of the sea, which takes a long time to change temperature. So you get mild winters, and cool summers.

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 16:46:21 »
GEN, someone must have told you that you live in the coldest place in England and planting direct into the soil will never give you great results.
Last year the North East had very few days where the temperature exceeded 18 deg and if you are say you live in outer NH your near the coast so you have a chill factor which reduces the temperature even more.
You really need a greenhouse with heat to be successful, setting your seeds away in trays or modules then potting them on till its warm enough to plant them out.

Stop Swanking with your tomatoes Davy  ::)

Yes I do live near the coast - about 2 miles as the seagull flies....... but my garden is quite sheltered due to neighbours BIG trees and hedges.

Very depressed that I cannot do a decent veggie patch up here....I lived for 20 years in South Africa where no-one had a GREENHOUSE, we had poinsettia trees in the garden as well as avocados, mangos, pawpaws, oranges, bananas, macadamia nuts.............

Not interested in growing potatos, cabbages, carrots etc....wanna do interesting veggies like I said in my first mailing.
thewoodles list looked good but where does thewoodle live???

Gen in balmy Northumberland now 3C this afternoon ;D
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 18:34:33 »
GEN, There is nothing stopping you from growing any of the veg Thewoodies listed and more all you need is some where warm with plenty of light to set your seed away to be potted on to give them a good start before planting them out.

If you are not willing to phaf on transplanting you wont get good results.                           If i lived 30 miles further north i would walk and give you all the plants you would would like to grow. lol

DAVY

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 20:08:25 »
I dont know what your soil/slug population is like, but I was warned by a old timer on our site not to put anything straight in the ground, as the clay soil was too harsh for seedlings and the slugs would eat everything before it matured.

Tried growing veg straight from seed in a mates garden a couple of years ago and only the runner beans survived (albeit rather stringy). Cauliflower, broccoli, sprouts, and those posh brassicas that look like fractals all ended up as scabby slug-eaten stalks, the leeks and carrots never got as far as poking their heads out, and the courgettes grew lush leaves while the slugs snacked on anything edible underneath.  >:(

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 21:20:17 »
I'd add that lots of people on here manage to grow 'interesting' stuff but it's not usually by sticking the seeds straight in the ground a month later than the seed packet says  ;)  Some things need early heat to get them going, some need a long growing season, some need both.  Most will need transplanting.  That's the challenge of growing in the UK!   

flumpy53

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 21:34:21 »
Yes, take a chance,you learn by your mistakes !!!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 22:31:43 »
Yes, take a chance

Germinating seeds and transplanting for growing on is not something to leave to chance. these are fundamental basic gardening skills that used to be tought at school.

If you don't have the skill, Get the skill. It will only cost a few packets of seed.

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 07:44:02 »
I'd add that lots of people on here manage to grow 'interesting' stuff but it's not usually by sticking the seeds straight in the ground a month later than the seed packet says  ;)  Some things need early heat to get them going, some need a long growing season, some need both.  Most will need transplanting.  That's the challenge of growing in the UK!   

Yes Ceres, now in my innocence, I realise I was being a tad optimistic (and probably lazy) to believe I could stick the seeds in the veggie patch, allbeit very well garnished with alpaca manure, and get good results up here in Northumberland.

Also I thought all seeds could be treated the same except some that need to go through fire or birds guts etc..... :)

I do appreciate all the advice I am getting on this forum, and I will take it on board!

Gen in Northumberland

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 07:57:25 »
GEN, There is nothing stopping you from growing any of the veg Thewoodies listed and more all you need is some where warm with plenty of light to set your seed away to be potted on to give them a good start before planting them out.

If you are not willing to phaf on transplanting you wont get good results.                           If i lived 30 miles further north i would walk and give you all the plants you would would like to grow. lol

Well I was a very obedient gardener yesterday, I raided Wilkinsons for a tray and transparent cover for seedlings, lots and lots of compost and seeds, seeds, seeds. The Jiffy 7's are coming from eBay today(?) As my greenhouse isnt heated I think I can start my seedlings off in the utility room, then put them in the greenhouse when they look up to it.

I threw in a roll of weed prevention membrane too for good measure.

Hoping for grand results after all this FAFF. I love the flavour of home grown veg and fruit, so much better than supermarkets, so.........................

Davy - you not up to walking +/-30 miles with some seedlingsfor me  ::) I'll let you off this time :)

Gen in outer Northumberland

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 18:08:50 »
Davy - you not up to walking +/-30 miles with some seedlingsfor me  Roll Eyes I'll let you off this time Smiley

GEN, Walking the 30 miles is not a problem its my wheel barrow.... it has a fat

DAVY

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 18:32:56 »
Davy - you not up to walking +/-30 miles with some seedlingsfor me  Roll Eyes I'll let you off this time Smiley

GEN, Walking the 30 miles is not a problem its my wheel barrow.... it has a fat

A fat??   ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 18:34:17 »
A Fat Controller maybe.  :P

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 19:54:30 »
A Fat Controller maybe.  :P

LOL just about right.

DAVY

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2009, 06:29:17 »
Davy, sorry to hear your wheelbarrow has a "fat" Been putting too many potatos in it ;D

Gen in Northumberland
0C at 6:30am

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal