Author Topic: New member and parsnips  (Read 3795 times)

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
Re: New member and parsnips
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 11:47:24 »
Many of them areused like that, yes. That's because so many Danes in towns live in flats. Some are used for growing vegetables, but it is not anything like as popular as in the UK.

Here's a snap of 1/3 of my garden on Boxing Day.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 13:10:28 »
That's what my site as when it started. Maybe not quite as suburban, but people used plots as orchards and gardens as well as for vegetables.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 13:16:55 »
It is really interesting to hear how allotments are run in Denmark Bjerreby. I live in the North East of England and this year I am going to germinate my parsnips in long root trainers indoors and plan on starting them off next week.  I would usually sow them in the ground about March to April, which I think is a bit late as they have a long growing season, but I have had mixed results with germination over the last few years, so I will try germinating them indoors this year.  Let us know how you get on. Best Wishes, busy_lizzie :)
live your days not count your years

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 13:45:28 »
Again, thanks for the kind replies. It is a bit different to a football forum!

Robert..........it might look suburban, but we are in fact out in the sticks. The red timber house you see on the left of the photo......I built it last year on an old orchard site in the hamlet. I have 3 times the growing space as you see on the snap.

busy_lizzie........will you use loo rolls for your parsnips? I was concerned they might not be long enough to hold the tap root if I keep them inside for a longer period, soI have a scheme to use strong brown paper instead. How long do you intend keeping yours inside?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 19:20:45 »
Hi Bjerreby and welcome to the forum, I think your the first person from Denmark  I've met on here, so its GREAT to see a DANE sharing your experiences with us, I look forward to seeing more pictures of your garden, I sow my nips straight into the ground 1st week in April, I still have some in the ground, I'll have to dig them up and freeze them.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 12:40:55 »
Hi Bjerreby, I  am going to use some empty goats milk cartons, which I have been collecting.  I will plant two seeds in the compost, and when I think there is good growth on top, and presumably equally good roots underneath, I will slit the cartons open and put the plantlings in the soil. It is a bit of an expirment, but I think it could be the answer to my poor germination as at least I can monitor them and control the conditions.  :)busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 08:46:33 »
Nice plot Bjerreby, and you built your own house how long did that take you,and are the rest of the houses in your hamlet selfbuild.

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 07:39:29 »
Its the only self-build house in the hamlet.

I started drawing up architectural plans October 2006. Applied for planning permission February 2007, started digging March 2007, placed main orders for materials March 2007, finished extra deep foundations April 2007 (we are on a very heavy clay that shrinks in summer), received planning permission May 2007  ;D, worked like a madman until November 2007 when we moved in.

The timber comes from Lapland. Slow grown redwood from 100% replenished plantation.

The most impressive feature of the house is the energy efficiency. The floor plan is 130 m2, and we have 0.4m insulation under the floor, 0.35m under the roof, and 0.28m in the walls. Our gas bill for the whole of last year was about £400.

Here are a few more snaps

I’ve sown the plot as a wildflower meadow, in which I am now establishing my vegetable plots. I had a problem with the flower seed, which turned out to be mostly Phacelia tanacetifolia, which I think is called “fiddleneck”. Here you see it. Mind you, fiddleneck is fantastic with respect to bees…………..I have never seen anything like it for attracting bees.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:08:51 by Bjerreby »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 08:53:55 »
Don't know how I missed this thread. Welcome to A4A. lovely pics
.About the parsnips. I have tried growing mine in tubes and transplanting but although they looked lovely above ground they were like octopi when I got them up. Needless to say we sow straight into the ground in about April. Better germination leaving it a bit later. Sowed in March last year and had to do it all again.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:57:42 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 09:52:07 »
Hi Bjerreby i must yes i do like your house you must be very proud,love the view of the church,doe's your hamlet have a shop or a pub if not how far do you have to travel to get to one.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 16:43:35 »
Concerning gardening traditions in Denmark, they have a thing called "kolonihaver" which is very similar to our allotments, except it is all much more prissy, you know, clean curtains in their shed, and everyone has gravel paths with deep rake marks all going in the same direction. The emphasis in a Danish allotment is as much about solidarity with the allotment club and socializing as growing fruit and vegetables.
They sound and look a bit like the ones I've seen in Holland - VERY smart and well kept, lovely sheds / cabins and yes proper paths. Plus if they're anything like the ones in Holland they're also quite pricey to rent

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 07:10:57 »
Hi Bjerreby i must yes i do like your house you must be very proud,love the view of the church,doe's your hamlet have a shop or a pub if not how far do you have to travel to get to one.

Pubs are a problem...........there isn't a single pub on the island. Even if there were, you can't get a decent pint of ale here. But don't give up! I brew my own Pale Ale, and if I may say so, it is very fine indeed, like a strong version of Old Speckled Hen. And now spring is approaching, I have started brewing Light Ale so I can consume a bit more in the late afternoon after gardening.  :)

We have 2 co-ops on the island. They are a bit pricey, and the nearest is about 3 miles away. We can however drive to Svendborg (20 minutes) were there are regular supermarkets.

We have a very nice little farm shop just up the road, where everything costs 10 kroner a bag (about £1.20), except spuds, which are 20 kroner. I have arranged for them to supply my seed potatoes.........Desiree and Sprint.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 07:50:36 »
Not familiar with "Sprint" BJ is it a European variety or just one I've missed?  :-\

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 09:30:02 »
Not familiar with "Sprint" BJ is it a European variety or just one I've missed?  :-\

Sprint is  first early.

Have you tried this link saddad?

http://www.europotato.org/menu.php

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal