Author Topic: How can I stop the birds drinking water from freezing?  (Read 2418 times)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
How can I stop the birds drinking water from freezing?
« on: February 09, 2009, 07:59:19 »
How can I stop the birds drinking water from freezing?

Can I add a little cooking oil? Any other ideas? They are desperate for a drink of water after all the crusts I throw out :P

Gen in freeeezing Northumberland
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: How can I stop the birds drinking water from freezing?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:31:46 »
Apart from changing the water frequently or  putting a tennis ball in the water. I assume it's a bird bath. I also think perhaps bread is a last resort. On the odd occasion I put it out we just get crows & starlings. We have gluten intolerance so only buy when we have visitors.
Janet

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:52:50 »
Maybe a little salt, I don't know what effect it would have on the birds though.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:09:03 »
vodka?  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:17:16 »
ON NO ACCOUNT USE SALT !!!  :o

I've found this article, tho, which might give you some suggestions:-

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/yoursay/news/epsom/4026960.Whiff_whaff_balls_help_save_London_birds/

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 16:44:02 »
My birds are spoilt rotten, crusts (wholemeal specially bought) are just an extra to the three bird feeders full of mixed seed, the fat balls and the apples left on the trees.

Just as I was about to throw out some used tin foil I thought of rolling it into balls that can float on the surface of their drinking water. I dont have any wiff-waff balls so thought they would do just as well..... time will tell.

Thanks for all the ideas
Gen in freeeeeeeezing Northumberland
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 17:16:41 »
Forgot to say - I use black paint trays for birds water. I put a nice beach pebble in the deep end so it doesn't blow away. Some dafties have a bath in the deep end, some timid souls paddle in the shallow end, some drink over the side.....

Gen in Northumberland

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 09:44:43 »
We've got plenty of snow just now, and my two water holes were invisible this morning. I've been out, cleared hem, and added some new water.

The funny thing is the birds aren't going in. They are more interested in eating. I have noticed a few times they eat snow, even though there is water available.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal