Author Topic: Would like a CCTV or webcam beside my bird feeders...help please???  (Read 3602 times)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
Must not be too expensive. The birds fly off when I look out the window unless I peek. Not condusive to lengthy watching, want comfort. I paint watercolours and want to try birds and maybe the odd red squirrel.

Need techie help please................

Gen in Outer Northumberland (same latitude as Moscow!)
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Re: Would like a CCTV or webcam beside my bird feeders...help please???
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:08:27 »
How far away is your bird feeder from your window?

Both of these will do you, but the second would be best indoors unless you can make a waterproof housing....
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106012
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106012

They should be ok for wireless connection to your tv upto about 50m or connect a composite (white, red and yellow) lead straight to your tv/video. The red and white lead is only needed for sound. They can be powered by battery or electrics.
If you use one of these types sytems then once it's tuned in mark a line on the thingy and base, then more than one camera can be tuned in and it's easy to move the thingy to the correct camera.

I have the one in the second link and taped it to the boys remote control car, we sat in the front room and was driving the car outside ;D

Neil

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:25:34 »
Hi Gen

And while you are waiting to get it, you could try blutacking some newspaper to the window with a small spyhole, we have done that when doing the birdcount so that there is a lot less movement to frighten the birds - it's good for taking photos too.

T.

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 13:51:29 »
Tulipa - thanks for cheap and easy tip of taping paper to window with spy hole, now why didnt I think of that LOL

Neil
Birdfeeders are about 4-5 metres from window. That first camera looks just the thing. I understand wifi as my laptop works that way but would it be difficult to get the camera to "talk"! to my digital tv?

Gen
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 14:06:41 »
The second link should of been http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145063

If your tv has a composite connector (white,red and yellow) then a lead goes from the camera reciever(silver box) and plugs into the tv, if you don't have composite then a scart (approx 2" long and 1/2" wide and angled at one end) is needed on the tv, you might need to get a composite to scart converter. Check things like your camcorder bag as they sometimes need the same thing.

Converter
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144208
look in your local poundland if you don't want to pay that amount.

The camera attaches to the reciever wirelessly, so as long as the camera is within approx 50m of the reciever, then it will work.

Hope the above makes sense.

Neil

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 14:37:01 »
Neil

Both tv and DVD recorder/player have red, white and yellow holes beside each other. so looking good for installation.

Many thanks for techie advice, looking forward to watching me birdies on the box LOL

Gen

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 22:22:14 »
I've just been on the Aldi site looking for fruit trees & they have a camera.
Janet

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 16:55:58 »
We had a camera set up a couple of years back which mostly is placed in the conservatory, but we do change its postion now and then depending on the season and on the activity, the camera cost about £30 and has given me a ton of pleasure.

My next mission is to have a camera actually inside the blue tit box ready for when they nesting in the spring.

Hubby showed me the one avilable at Aldi yesterday and was all for taking me to buy it today, but its not really what I am after as the specs only list it as being suitable to viewing through the tv which is not really what I am after as my laptop is more preferable so that I can take snap shots ect.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 16:58:02 by honeybee »

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 18:15:21 »
Tulipa - thanks for cheap and easy tip of taping paper to window with spy hole, now why didnt I think of that LOL

Ha ha I wonder what your neighbours will think of your nutty new decor! Great idea.

BTW my mother used to paint watercolours of wildlife, and still has a blue-tit in the bottom of her freezer that she found in about 1984 and stored for a future project. She found that roadkill was the best way of ensuring her subjects kept still!

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 22:42:40 »
Thanks for the link Sparkly, looks a great cam,  I showed it to my technical support assisant aka 'him indoors'  ;)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 07:58:26 »

Ha ha I wonder what your neighbours will think of your nutty new decor! Great idea.

BTW my mother used to paint watercolours of wildlife, and still has a blue-tit in the bottom of her freezer that she found in about 1984 and stored for a future project. She found that roadkill was the best way of ensuring her subjects kept still!

My neighbours know I'm the resident eccentric already  ;D

Yachhhhhh to roadkill in me freezer! Unless you have a sepcial old freezer in the garage for roadkill and beer and other stuff not allowed in the kitchen freezer ::)

The postie should be bringing my CCTV camera today or tomorrow. Can't wait to get it set up, hope the fixtures are easy to use!!!

Gen in balmy Northumberland  - 1.5C this morning

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal