Author Topic: Banana shallots  (Read 17402 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Banana shallots
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 10:35:54 »
I found something similar in the market recently. I'm just waiting to see whether they split, go to seed or what.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 10:42:17 »
I have two nets of them bought from Lidl and was hoping to plant them with the intention that they would multiply.  I am not sure what to do with them now.   :-\   

Perhaps I should eat one lot and try planting the others.  Do you think if I plant them with just the tops showing that there would be more chance of them splitting?

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 10:52:46 »
I only just push them in  enough that they can root.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 11:34:01 »
I plant anything like these well down so the roots can't push them back up! They'll do what they want to do, and we'll just have to be patient!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 23:34:18 »
Just an update on the Lidl banana shallots that I planted this year.  Only one of them went to seed and the remainder produced 3 or 4 new ones. 

Not very prolific then but better than nothing.   :D

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 18:35:16 »
All mine failed to grow.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 19:59:17 »
All mine failed to grow.

Sorry to hear that.  I had the same on my first attempt.  Someone suggested that they might have been sprayed to prevent sprouting.  I then washed the next batch very carefully several times and got them to sprout.  Now they produce seed and multiply into 2 to 4 new onions.

The best size I get from seeds, but only one bulb per seed obviously.  It would be nice to get them to split into more bulbs and larger bulbs, but I understand they are commercially grown from seed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal