Author Topic: Banana shallots  (Read 17403 times)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Banana shallots
« on: February 05, 2009, 13:42:23 »
How deep do you plant them. ???

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Banana shallots
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 13:55:49 »
I push mine in just enough to stop them falling over. That's probably about half their depth.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 13:57:41 »
I planted mine with just the tips showing, but they will flower for you this year and hopefully give you lots of seeds to grow next year to get your own banana shallots.... ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 14:07:11 »
So they don't split too make more shallots.

djbrenton, your allotment site looked a bit bleak from the tram i was driving this morning at 530.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 15:49:53 »
 As it has been SO cold this is was I decided to do  . I planted mine into plastic pots ,with compost as it comes in the bag almost dry , but just enough to get their roots waking up . Then as the weather improves I will give them a little more water,   and as was suggested to me before ,then, I will plant them outside with a big label which says "French Banana shallots for seed do not dig up "
Trespassers will be composted !

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 16:25:10 »
No froglegs they don't split!

I have bought some seed for shallots for this year and will plant a few of last years for next years' seed!

Old Bird
 ;D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 18:27:56 »
Bugger. :'(

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 19:22:44 »
Yes, they can split BUT into small, skinny and useless shallots, which then go to seed. One of our other plotters tried planting Tesco banana shallots last year, and that is what happened.
This year I am growing banana shallots from seed(already sown in modules).
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:37:11 »
Can anyone tell me where to buy seed from?

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 11:45:38 »
I think mine was Suttons!

I got it from my local garden centre!

Old Bird

;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 11:48:41 »

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 18:02:20 »
Many thanks I will try Wyvale.

amphibian

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 19:39:30 »
I have just planted some out, didn't realise they wouldn't split. They're mixed up with my ordinary, splitting, shallots. I hope they'll be easy to tell apart.

davesplot

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 21:29:26 »
 I think I will just eat mine and get some seed  ;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 21:43:28 »
Why are people talking about them not splitting? I've grown them for years and they always split. I carry them over for 3 years before buying new.

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 23:58:52 »
I started mine off in the greenhouse in modules last year, approx. 5 seeds in each section, and planted each module out when they were big enough. They grew well and formed clumps of five large, long shallots, just as if they had been sets. I couldn't find any seeds called banana shallots this year, so bought long red florence onions, which I think I read somewhere were the same, can anyone out there confirm this?  :-\

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 00:51:54 »
I started mine off in the greenhouse in modules last year, approx. 5 seeds in each section, and planted each module out when they were big enough. They grew well and formed clumps of five large, long shallots, just as if they had been sets. I couldn't find any seeds called banana shallots this year, so bought long red florence onions, which I think I read somewhere were the same, can anyone out there confirm this?  :-\

They're onions not shallots, but they grow in such an odd fashion for an onion that they might as well be a shallot.... don't taste like them though.... I love them though and  have alrready started off 40 modules with another 80 to go in as soon as the current batch of things come out of the propagators. I normally run 5-8 seeds per module, potted on into 3"(ish) pots once the majority have got going...

Shallots split for the same reason that garlic does, it's aresponse to cold weather.....

chrisc

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 08:32:34 »
So they don't split too make more shallots.

djbrenton, your allotment site looked a bit bleak from the tram i was driving this morning at 530.

At 5.30 in the morning, the whole world looks bleak  :P

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 22:46:23 »
Thanks, Chrisc, don't suppose it matters what name you give them, as long as they taste good and do what it says on the tin!!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 10:13:21 »
I admit that I too am confused: they resemble the "Chicken Drumstick" shallots we have in france. I grow them and yes they split, I plant them with about 5cm of soil over them, I get about 6 or 7 shallots for each one planted!! Are they not the same type? They look just like them  ???

2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal