Author Topic: where to start.  (Read 1710 times)

simmo116

• Acre
where to start.
« on: February 03, 2009, 17:50:11 »
hi gang ive been thinking of getting a couple of small hens for laying/pets.
i have only a small garden 30x15 feet aprox . but secure. could i just let them roam free? also how big a koop do i need remembering the distinct lack of space.could i get away with a converted rabbit huch? will they eat absouloutly everything plants,grass,florwers etc?

Peasticks

• Half Acre
Re: where to start.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 22:43:05 »
Hi, hens are excellent pets and the eggs are fab

I have an Eglu which is perfect for a small garden, they are very good as they can be hosed out so are easy to keep clean! chickens produce an incomprehensible amount of poo.

Eglus are fairly expensive but I think they are worth it! I have four chickens in an Eglu with a 3m run to give you an idea of the space required

If converting or building a coop the hens will need somewhere dark to lay their eggs, a perch or slatted platform for roosting and something that has ventilation but is not draughty.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 19:04:03 »
eglu!!! HOW MUCH!!!!?????? thats an asda 1 quid chicken chicken a week for about 10 years.! no i think old pallet wood will suffice. im not sure about the chooks as the cost to feed em is a bit much .

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 14:07:48 »
 ;D Eglu not for you then?  ;) I love mine but you are right; its not going to pay for itself anytime soon

Plenty of people have built runs from pallet wood so it must be ok, hens needs arent exactly complex. You could also convert a freecycle shed

I believe there are websites which show coop building instructions or you could try pulling some coops up on ebay and take advantage of multi angled photos.

If you shop around for food you can get it cheap, my four hens eat a 25kg bag costing £8 every 7 weeks and my feed supplier is quite expensive. Mash is slightly cheaper. Apart from red mite powder and grit there are not many other essential requirements (although I have a shed-full of chicken supplies  ::))

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 18:13:54 »
Chickens are great fun and make really good pets.

There are lots of sites that show how to build a coop, my OH made ours from re-claimed pallets and plyboard.  He covered it in corrogated metal that he also managed to get for free.

If you are only having a couple of hens then I would advise making them a pen because they do tend to eat just about everything.  How much damage two hens would make is the question.  I have 15 in a large compound but there is not a blade of grass left.

Our hens were rescued and therefore free of charge.  I manage to claim some of their costs back from selling the eggs.  Friends happily send us their scraps which keep the girls happy.  My garden is not enclosed, and living in the countryside we have an electric fence which was expensive.  As you have an enclosed garden then this should not be a problem.  I would always make sure that you 'put them to bed' securely as you never can be careful.

I have ISA's which are brilliant layers and really tame.  They are average sized and come with many recommendations for the size and taste of their eggs.

If you have children then they will love them.  My children love ours and even in the coldest part of winter always want to feed them and collect the eggs.

If you have a chance I would give it a go.  We only had ours a year ago and do not regret it for a minute.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal