Produce > Pests & Diseases

Pigeons

(1/3) > >>

mysticmog:
I have shredded cabbages, and assume it's pigeons (or slugs with exceptionally big mouths who are very untidy eaters.)  I realise I'm going to have to cover them but what with?  They're pretty big, and I can't find any frame type thing that's big enough...

Any ideas?  

I hear CD's on cotton hanging from trees freaks them out...does this work?

sandersj89:
This is what I do:

Very simple construction, a post driven in at the end of each row. Attach  a small cross piece to each to form a T shape. Sun a string from ends of each T to support the net. Drap over the net and peg the edges down to the ground.

It has worked very well this year, no pigeon damage and has kept the butterflies away too. The net also helps support the plants, in this case brussels.

CD's can work though I do not use them. Wire or fishing line over the plants works well stopping the birds from landing. Also a bamboo cane driven into the ground and a black bin liner tied to it can work as well.

HTH

Jerry

Mrs Ava:
I use the cd on string method, more to keep the birds away from new planted seeds.   Problem with the cd's, the jays and magpies dive bomb them and break the string!  

I have lots of recycled bits and pieces that I use to protect my brassicas, thanks to Ava, but I have Kales that are now 5 foot tall, so they are chancing it in the big wide world as I have nothing big enough to protect them!

teresa:
I moved my canes with 2lt pop bottles to protect fruit and pidgons had 3 cabbages that will teach me.
EJ you could try tying the plastic bags you get at shop to the tops of your plants might work?
Teresa

Mrs Ava:
Well, if they haven't been savaged when I get there in the morning, I will try that Teresa

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version