Author Topic: What to plant?  (Read 962 times)

robinaber

• Quarter Acre
  • Aberporth, near Cardigan, West Wales
What to plant?
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:05:52 »
In the garden I have recently 'acquired' there is what is left of a greenhouse - a brick base with a brick wall up one side. I was wondering what would be ideal to plant bearing in mind it gets a lot of sun? Would raspberries be OK?

Also I am removing/skimming old grass from other parts of the garden. Would it be OK to put this under the soil in the glass greenhouse and the part that used to be a greenhouse?

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. Author unknown

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: What to plant?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:17:40 »
I wouldn't waste a sunny site on Raspberries because they grow happily in semi-shade.  Plenty of other fruits would value the warmth of a warm wall - Physallis is one of my favourites - or you could go for other sun lovers like tomatoes.  Depends what you want to eat really.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 12:53:32 »
Apricots, figs ...... there are plenty of slightly 'exotic' fruit that do best against a south facing wall. What do you like eating :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 13:06:02 »
Perhaps a kiwi fruit plant? they spread out well I believe. But yeah Tomatoes sounds good too, or something else sun loving - capsicums? (peppers...)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal