Author Topic: Are your seeds organised?  (Read 5207 times)

betula

• Hectare
Re: Are your seeds organised?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 00:07:41 »
Mine aren't organised at all, they're just shoved randomly into a stack of sweet tins.

Mine too,

They come in and out in and out. :)

Like to keep looking at them :)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 03:58:48 »
Successional sowings are returned to the next month after use...  :-X

Alphabetically, of course  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

well of course, they came out alphabetically so whats the problem?
lbb

you know i dont see any other way this would work.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 09:21:01 »
Yes i have two empty tins, quality streets and roses. If what i'm looking for is not in one it must be in the other. Thats as organised as i get.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 13:25:15 »
Mine are in a big biscuit tin! organised by month - which reminds me I had better get it out and go through it, I have made a list for my new seed orders but I had better look at what is really still there. On Sunday I put on my old gardening jacket and found a packet each of beetroot and radish seeds!!   ::)
I bought my potting mix too, which probably makes my hubby nervous - he will again envisage the tiny plants that invade the house for two months every spring!!!
That's partly why I have the blog though, I can search and see what I did at each time of the year then think, hmm was that a good idea or not. It's a bit more fun than the excel sheet!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 15:40:46 »
I bought an expanding file thing for keeping the seed packets in - sections for the various beans, peas, roots, salads, brassicas etc but found that I was forgetting to sow some things. Tried organising by month but if you don't get round to sowing something that can be sown between March and June, in March - I also forgot to move the packet into the next month for sowing. Now, am organising a print out under each month, and using an elastic band to keep the seeds organised by month & whether they'll be sown at plot/home.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 17:40:47 »
In sweet tins - one tin for beans and peas, one for tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, one for salad stuff etc. I do try to write down when and what I sow - very organised at the beginning of the season and then it just seems to trail off.........

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 18:14:22 »
Thanks everyone :)

I found this site that has downloadable calendars http://www.wincalendar.com/

I might have a go at planning it out then printing it off for the allotment.

Neil

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 15:27:38 »
Hi Neil Had a quick look and it seems simple but thorough enough  :)  Let us know how you get on. As I use Outlook, I get reminders etc, but cos I add notes on what I do in terms of sowing, planting and hopefully harvesting  :) at the end of the year (or whener!) I export the Outlook file into Excel and I can review what I've done, when, successes and failures etc.
Hope it helps the planning and hope you get to eat those carrots!

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 17:12:01 »
Wow, folders, filing cabinets, alphabetical order...I feel inadequate! I have a biscuit tin and a margerine tub and no particular system. Over time, things that are mainly green seem to have ended up in the margerine tub and other-coloured things in the tin. I am thinking of branching out and getting another tin for flower seeds.

I do have a list of what I've got in approximate planting order, and a diary. Last year i completely forgot to plant the chard and spinach, but that was before I got the diary  ;) 

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 19:47:20 »
Mine are all filed.....under S for seeds ;D ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 19:51:32 »
I have 2 boxes on for veg and one for flowers, i did try doing it a-z and i tried doing by planting season but what has worked for me is putting all my carrots together and all my onions etc and each of these are organised by planting season. When i move i need to re-package my seeds and i have found a unit in the back of the garage which used to be in the office in our last house which is now empty so i am going to make this my seed store in the future :)

becky0129

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 20:31:45 »
keep mine in what month to sow so i dont forget anything  ;D

amphibian

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 21:45:36 »
I organise by month of sowing, each month I move onward, to the next month, any that  I have not sown or that intend to sow more of. I reorganise them in winter.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 21:54:30 »
same as amphibian me got them in month order

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 20:23:24 »
Totally disorganised. Am a complete noob, and have randomly bought things that look nice on the packet. Then find out that its better to buy a small plant rather than the seeds, and they arent going to get used. Or that I've bought two packets of something because I forgot what I bought the first time round..

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2009, 21:52:43 »
I think we all do that Lewic... nearly bought some Okra in Wilko's today until OH said didn't you get some at Potato day...  ::)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2009, 21:57:23 »
We drink a lot of leaf tea which comes in vacuum packed plastic packets.

I pack my seeds into them, in shoe boxes. One box for bean and peas, another for all the rest.

OK, various lettuces in one little packet, different spinaches in another, beetroots in another, etc etc. I like to think I can remember from week to week what needs sowing......... and then sowing again.

Not perfect, and this year it is really going to work at last.

Oh NO!!! Endless snow forecast!

My fall back plan is to bring my miniature greenhouse (£12 B&Q 2 years ago, plastic cover shredded in winter winds) indoors as a shelving unit in utility room, and put lots of boxes of seeds onto it until weather better.

Thank you for the advice here, for example:

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/2007/08/keep-those-crops-coming.html

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2009, 22:02:02 »
Mine aint organised at all !!   

I will have to have a look to see what is there and then see what ones are out of date !!   :o

amphibian

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 07:57:12 »
Mine aint organised at all !!   

I will have to have a look to see what is there and then see what ones are out of date !!   :o

loads of mine are out of date.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2009, 11:07:24 »
and mine, but most still germinate if you start them on damp kitchen towel...  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal