Author Topic: OK. where's all this Global Warming gone ?  (Read 20864 times)

Gobby

• Quarter Acre
Re: OK. where's all this Global Warming gone ?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 07:59:49 »
Water is at its most dense at 4 degrees centigrade. Ice is less dense than water....

Fresh water is most dense at 3.9 oC yes, but salt water is most dense at it's freezing point and before someone says that ice is fresh water it is't it undergoes a brine rejection process after freezing.

Ice floats, right ? which means its less dense than water. Ie a larger volume for the same amount liquid.

Ocean water with a typical salinity of 35 parts per thousand freezes only at −1.8°C (28.9°F). So if there were no halocline in the polar oceans, then the cooled top ocean layer, being denser, would sink into the deep ocean, in the same way as thunderstorm clouds rise in the atmosphere, and the entire ocean column would have to cool to −1.8°C before its surface could freeze.

Though iceburgs are slightly lower in density due to above process they have a mass over-water so this would account for the larger over all mass.
(ok graspping at straws there but it works in my mind)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:01:39 by Gobby »

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 10:41:49 »
Its gone to the same place that the ice age that was coming in 1963 has gone to.  Remember it?????????

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 10:50:42 »
15000 years ago this little bit of earth was under half a mile of ice,no cars,power stations, no cows releasing gas and dare i say it not even the know it all brigade belching out hot air when you dont agree with them.SO HOW COME IT WARMED UP AND NEARLY ALL THE ICE MELTED. Its part of a natural cycle.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 10:59:49 »
There are too many people making money from the gullable, even the government jumped on the band wagon. So climate change/ global warming will keep on going until the people being conned are broke (they will never admit they are wrong)  and there is no more profit in it.

les65

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 11:59:25 »
There are too many people making money from the gullable, even the government jumped on the band wagon. So climate change/ global warming will keep on going until the people being conned are broke (they will never admit they are wrong)  and there is no more profit in it.

WHAT HE SAID

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 12:16:59 »
Just 'cos people are making money out of it, doesn't mean it's not real. Some people make money out of gardening, it doesn't mean gardens or their problems aren't real, does it... The vast majority of the scientific community (and all respected scientists) believe in climate change, just 'cos you don't want it to be true doesn't make you right.

The only debate between people who understand it, is how severe the impact will be, not whether it's real or not.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 12:29:46 »
(they will never admit they are wrong) 

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 13:09:45 »
Scraped an inch of global warming off my car windscreen before I could drive in this morning!
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

les65

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 13:32:19 »
When climate scientist Andrew Weaver considers the idea of tinkering with Earth's air, water or sunlight to fight global warming, he remembers the lessons of a favourite children's book.

In the book, a cheese-loving king's castle is infested with mice. So the king brings in cats to get rid of the mice. Then the castle's overrun with cats, so he brings in dogs to get rid of them, then lions to get rid of the dogs, elephants to get rid of the lions, and finally, mice to get rid of the elephants.

That scenario in The King, the Mice and the Cheese, by Nancy and Eric Gurney, should give scientists pause before taking extreme measures to mess with Mother Nature, says Weaver of the University of Victoria.

However, in recent months, several scientists are considering doing just that.

They are exploring global warming solutions that sound wholly far-fetched, including giant artificial "trees" that would filter carbon dioxide out of the air, a bizarre "solar shade" created by a trillion flying saucers that lower Earth's temperature, and a scheme that mimics a volcano by spewing light-reflecting sulphates high in the sky.

extract from the parlimentary office of science and technology

A small minority of scientists claim that recent climate
change is due to factors other than increased CO2 levels,
such as the impact of solar activity

Cosmic Rays
The Danish scientist Svensmark has put forward the theory
that climate is controlled by cosmic rays. Cosmic rays are
energetic particles arising from deep space that impinge on
the earth’s atmosphere.

unfortionatly most scientists are as mad as a box of cheese crackers
as there are so many differing views for and against, and the reasons for climate change, no one can say for sure.
but answer this why has the goverment done nothing nothing except tax us, and where have they spent the money i cannot state 1 meaningful thing this goverment has done to help towards climate change.
how much damage is being done by bombing the crap out of iraq, are they forcing the big companies to be clean are they subsidising solar panels or small wind generators, are they banning holiday makers from jetting off polluting the air, are they responsibly for anything enviromently friendly apart from taxing us. no they are not,
we are just paying money hand over fist with no idea how much of our "green taxes* are being used to bomb people.
carbon offsetting scam a company spews out thousands of tonnes of pollution but as long as it pays a company to buy some solar powered cookers at the Mapetla old age homei n Soweto . The provision of solar cookers significantly reduces carbon emissions by limiting the need for electric stoves. yeah right pull the other one. how about making the big company reduce their carbon emmisions.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 14:51:57 »
Ice floats because it's slightly less dense than water, but it's quite correct that if all the floating ice melted that would cause no rise in sea level. If all the ice on land melted, that's what would produce the major rise. I'm not sure how many cubic miles there are in the Antarctic and Greenland Ice Caps, but it's a lot!

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 20:04:59 »

When i watched Victorin Farming last week it was mentioned on there that they had had a spell of wet summers one after the other.....got me thinking what have our last two summers been like,  Swings and roundabouts me thinks.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

amphibian

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 21:05:38 »
Ice floats because it's slightly less dense than water, but it's quite correct that if all the floating ice melted that would cause no rise in sea level. If all the ice on land melted, that's what would produce the major rise. I'm not sure how many cubic miles there are in the Antarctic and Greenland Ice Caps, but it's a lot!

This ignores the fact that permanent floating polar ice is covered in metres of accumulated snow, of fresh water composition.

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 23:15:17 »
In the 1970's so called Scientific Studies revealed that there was only about 10-20 years worth of Oil left on the entire  planet.

Hmmm.. ;)

What happened to that theory then.? ???

I'll put it with the new supposed "Climate Change" theory. :P

-------------------------------------------
I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !
-------------------------------------------

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 23:24:48 »
I agree Dan, I did a Gweog degree at the end of the 70's and all sorts of things, like oil, were going to have run out by now....  :o

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 01:15:21 »
But isn't just a case our (computer) technology improving such that we can now find oil in places we couldn't even explore before and the ability to drill deeper ?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 06:13:33 »
But isn't just a case our (computer) technology improving such that we can now find oil in places we couldn't even explore before and the ability to drill deeper ?

Yes it is, and we've reached peak production. Some reserves have also become more accessable dues to retreating ice... which is ironic in an Alanis Morisette kinda way.

Dan, just because one model was 20 years out (which is still within 20% accuracy), doesn't make another theory wrong...

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 07:08:30 »

Spot on, thank you Ace.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

amphibian

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009, 08:23:32 »

What evidence is there that the climate change camp are wrong?

les65

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 08:52:39 »

What evidence is there that the climate change camp are wrong?

because its bloody freezing  ;D

by the way what happened to acid rain ?? did we cure it or just get bored of preaching it.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 14:24:29 »

When i watched Victorin Farming last week it was mentioned on there that they had had a spell of wet summers one after the other.....got me thinking what have our last two summers been like,  Swings and roundabouts me thinks.
#

Sorry but I'm confused. Are you saying that wet summers indicate global warming is not happening?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal