Author Topic: Parsley Root  (Read 2716 times)

plot54

• plot54
Parsley Root
« on: February 09, 2009, 13:38:13 »
After a recent trip to Poland, I've come back with some Parsley Root seed to grow. Before the trip I had great arguments with my Polish Girlfriend about the existence of this root vegetable. If someone had said to you "Oh yes Parsley leaf, but don't you eat the root too?", and since they don't really have Parsnip there, it caused much confusion. I certainly have never seen the vegetable sold in this country, and have never knowingly have eaten it. So I'm quite excited, but not optimistic, about growing some ourselves. Apparently they are notoriously difficult to germinate quite often inhibiting everything else and themselves, and the seeds don't last that long.

We're going to try our best and I'll be posting up the results as they happen on my website allotment blog. If anyone is interested in seeing the results. If anyone out there has any experience of growing, cooking or eating parsley root I would be interested to here about it.

plot 54

http://www.plot54.co.uk/
plot 54

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Parsley Root
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 13:48:54 »
Hello! I'll certainly be watching your blog and wishing you all the best with it. Is it like a ginormous parsely plant with the same sort of edible leaves we use, or something different entirely? (I'm thinking 'elephant garlic' here - not a garlic at all.)

As an aside, in Thailand they use and eat coriander root - something I'd discarded after stripping the plant of leaves before. Not any more, I don't ;D

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 13:53:45 »
it's called turnip rooted parsley or Hamburg parsley. I grew it last year, but I haven't dug any up to try. all I know is - the root doesn't taste much of parsley. Imagine how good it would be if it did though

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 13:54:34 »
As an aside, in Thailand they use and eat coriander root - something I'd discarded after stripping the plant of leaves before. Not any more, I don't ;D

how do you use it and what does it taste like?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 13:57:07 »

It tastes like coriander ;D ;D ;D  They bash the root before adding it to their other herbs/spices, is all.

oops! sorry, pressed post too soon. Meant to say that that then they remove it along with the lemongrass root when that part of the cooking is done.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 14:05:08 »

It tastes like coriander ;D ;D ;D  They bash the root before adding it to their other herbs/spices, is all.

oops! sorry, pressed post too soon. Meant to say that that then they remove it along with the lemongrass root when that part of the cooking is done.

thanks for that, does the roots store well or do you leave in the ground till you are ready for it.

sorry plot54 for highjacking your thread :-[, if i have anymore questions for Hyacinth i'll pm her :D.

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 14:14:41 »
Hamburg parsley is correct. My Danish wife tells me it is used is sauces accompanying beef dishes...............I am vegetarian, so that's why I have never had it!

Apparently you chop it up like celery and mix it with wine to make the sauce. I dont think it is used raw in salads or sprinkled (grated) on cooked dishes though.

Not very common I think.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 15:02:12 »
I've seen Hamburg parsley seeds here for sale and if I do again this spring I'll certainly give it a go. Hard to germinate? Well, they say that about 'ordinary' parsley but heat and the right conditions & I've not had probs.

Thifas...in Thailand they just pull up the whole plant, then use the leaves and crucially, the root. Because of their climate they're growing it all the year round, so no idea if it stores, sorry. :-\

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 17:42:05 »
Thifas...in Thailand they just pull up the whole plant, then use the leaves and crucially, the root. Because of their climate they're growing it all the year round, so no idea if it stores, sorry. :-\

thanks for the info :)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 17:58:10 »
I put some seed in the Jeannine swap. If anyone wants some seed, i've got lots left

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 18:34:46 »
I put some seed in the Jeannine swap. If anyone wants some seed, i've got lots left

ThanksRT. LBB's going to send me some, otherwise I'd not pass up the offer of some of your seed.....what gal would? ::) ;) ;D

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 19:19:37 »
Spring must be on the way - Hyacinth has come over all unnecessary.........

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 19:22:41 »
I have not grown it but I am trying it this year. I have read that the root is used just like parsnip.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 19:57:16 »
and Welcome to the site Plot 54  ;D

plot54

• plot54
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 09:46:49 »

They had the roots stacked up in the supermarket veg section in Poland, looking just that same as Parsnips stacked up here in the UK.  I scratched and sniffed a few and really could describe the smell properly. Definitely not parsley leaf smell, more light, watery, refreshing and slightly savoury...? That's the best I can do! I could definitely see it used in a soup, but I've just been told it is also used in a cooked salad - Potatoes, carrots, egg, mayonnaise, parsley root, celeriac, peas and sour cucumbers.

plot 54

http://www.plot54.co.uk/
plot 54

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 09:53:13 »
I just realized there is a description and photographs of Hamburg parsley on page 113 of "The Vegetable and Herb Expert" by D G Hessayon. I thought that book is one of the most read by veggie growers.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal