Produce > Pests & Diseases

Carrot fly

(1/4) > >>

mysticmog:
Having just lost my entire crop of carrots to the dreaded carrot fly, I was wondering if anyone had any cunning plan to prevent this...I had a 2ft barrier around them made of fleece, but I guess it didnt work...

Also, any idea why my carrot seedlings keep disappearing?  Would it  birds?

tim:
Sad. The barrier was there from sowing?
Whatever - just lay the fleece across the lot & you'll never have a problem. Sowing to harvest. = Tim

mysticmog:
Ah, the snowdrift method...my entire plot is gonna look like a winter wonderland...ah well, s'not supposed to be pretty, it's supposed to be edible :-)

Ta Tim

sandersj89:
I personally think the 2 foot barrier/wall method is a waste of time. The theory says that the flies cannot get over it.

In reality I think they can and do, even if they are simply blown higher by any wind. The proof is my fathers veg garden. This is a walled garden, 12 foot walls on all 4 sides and one door that is kept shut 99% of the time. To walk through the door into the veg garden means walking 30 foot down a side path with a 5 foot wall on one side, then another gate.

If carrot fly cannot get higher than 2 foot he should be fine but he has to fleece his carrots.........

As Tim says, cover them over with fleeze. I use wire hoops to support the fleece but that is strictly not needed.

HTH
Jerry

tim:
You mean like this, Moggie? = Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version