Author Topic: Asda SELL their waste ....?  (Read 7146 times)

flossy

• Hectare
Asda SELL their waste ....?
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:18:21 »

Not sure if I heard right - an advert last night showed how Asda is ' saving ' us money
  by turning off their lights and selling there waste cardboard and plastic ..........

This, they say keeps the prices down and gives us cheaper food.

So they create the rubbish, that we trot up to the recycling bays for collection - over and over again.
  Feels like I 've got a job at times  --  un paid and working for the planet, thats OK as thats why
  I do it !     and Asda gets paid for theirs !!!

Someone is having a laugh !

So, lets all unpack the plastics ie mushrooms ,toms, brocolli etc [ or buy loose where you can],
   keep the bar code and use up there paper mushroom bags to hike it to the till !
   Bit dodgy with meat but could do the same with a polybag [ more waste though ]

I don't want to bring their rubbish home anymore  -- there are obvious answers but all super -
   markets create the same  mess  --   are they all getting paid to recycle ?

I need a cup of tea,

floss xxx

Hertfordshire,   south east England

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Asda SELL their waste ....?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:28:11 »
At the moment there is no price in scrap carboard, it is being tipped as the transport costs do not add up. Do not believe adverts, because that lazy little scrote that is supposed to turn the lights off has been sacked for leaving the place in the dark and getting his store robbed. anyway he is really an actor, cause  when I go past asda at anytime of the day the store is blazing light.

They are cheap, but not through eco money saving schemes. They screw the farmers and the wages are terrible.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 08:50:17 »

Cheers Ace,   had a good laugh - thanks    ;D

What about those who collect the recycling bins   ---   are they paying the council for
  the privilage ?

If so , they are all making money out of waste that nobody wants [ except them ],  and joe
  public is doing the leg work ,  funny old world !

If that is why the government won't interfere and stop the excess packaging   --
  I may be starting to see the light , though it be a dim one !

In Italy my daughter recycles all their juice and water bottles - they take it to the recycling
  centre, they weigh it - she gets a voucher that gives a reduction in her rates !!

How reasonable is that,!

floss x

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:02:20 »
At the moment there is no money in scrap cardboard or plastic!
I'm not keen on the 'discount on your rates' sketch, as a household who don't buy much recyclable materials, (no papers exept free ones and we light the fire with them) we don't purchase bottled water or fizzy drinks, use a local butcher, grow our own veg, compost most things, etc.
if they start giving discount for your recyclable waste, Will we have to start buying crap to get the discount??  ;)
Oh btw, keep your aluminium scrap, it is still worth money!
You couldn't make it up!

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:31:45 »

Thanks tonybloke,  do follow most of your lifestyle - unfortunately Asda is our only hope
  in Hatfield.  We are waiting for a new town to be developed but do have a farmers market
  each month --  lovely !

Fresh meat counter is approx 3 miles away at Morrisons - then they tray it and plastic wrap it !?

Our main waste items are milk and winebottles,  [ says a lot ! ]     ::)

There are country butchers in the wilds of Herts, will have to make a trip and see what we
  can afford.     Can you just explain for me - if there is no money in  scrap cardboard  and plastic
  any more,  where and what materials are they using to produce more and more of it ?

Really, I'm not being awkward - I just don't understand !        :-[

floss xxx

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:51:26 »
Can you just explain for me - if there is no money in  scrap cardboard  and plastic
  any more,  where and what materials are they using to produce more and more of it ?

Really, I'm not being awkward - I just don't understand !        :-[

floss xxx

It's simple really, if there's no profit in it. your local council (YOU) have to pay them to dispose of it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:54:49 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:55:51 »
It's cheaper to make new plastic and cardboard than it is to use recycled!
If the manufacturers  use recycled, they have to grade, wash, and remove foreign particles before they even start the manufacturing process, this actually uses more energy / labour than just making new!!
on the discount for recycling front, we have a fortnightly collection of recycled stuff, but don't buy enoughto fill the bin, so we put ouirs out every 4 - 6 weeks. if they start doing the percentages game for charging for waste collection, do we have to stop composting, and buy crap to put in our bin just to get a discount?? how crazy would that be??  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:00:34 »

What about those who collect the recycling bins   ---   are they paying the council for
  the privilage ?

We pay them with the council tax to collect it. It all come under the contract for waste disposal.

Most of the schemes are just lip service. Go to the tip and see what goes up there, a lot of your recyle bin ends up on the tip because it costs more to recycle it than it dos to get the product new from trees and petroleum bye- products.

We have a huge incinerator over here that converts waste into electricity. It is 'hidden in the forest. But no trouble to find as everything is dead around it from the fallout. The councillors still pat themselve on the back as they don't really know the full story. It is the paid officers that really make the decisions and that is all cloak and dagger. The open council only applies to council meetings and the silly old farts we keep voting in.

Ooops! looks like you got the answer while I was replying never mind I will still post it.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 10:19:29 »
Our main waste is glass (beer) bottles and plastic milk bottles too Flossy... our Blue bin wasn't emptied for 5 weeks over Xmas (the Brown - garden waste was, (who produces loads of brown waste in Winter? ours goes to compost), then the d**n thing turned up at 6:30am and we missed it.. so 7 weeks later they may empty the bin... " Service with a smirk"  >:(

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 10:31:19 »
Our council have just started a kitchen waste scheme for everything from veg peelings to meat, bones etc.  What I've just found out is that the contract is awarded to a local farmer to compost it, so I'm assuming he gets paid to do so, but the actual end product is then used by the said farmer on his own land, therefore he benefits twice!  I have emailed the council because I do feel that if we go to the trouble to store all this stuff for a fortnight then the general public should at least have the option to have some of the end product or to pay a nominal fee for it.

As for Asda, I find them expensive, the ads irritating and their staff constantly look harassed!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 10:35:25 »
   Thanks everyone, beginning to get the picture now !    ;)

Glad you posted Ace, incinerating to produce energy  would be an ideal way to go-
    without polluting the atmosphere of course ! There are some daft b...... in these council
    offices !
    So, a lot of our recycled waste ends up in landfill anyway .....  still carry on though, I can't resist hearing those bottles smash in the recycling bins  --  my one chance to be a bit of a vandal !!           ;)

Just caught you saddad,  same here at the recycle bins  --  choka-bloc over and beyond Christmas,
    boxes of bottles and smashed glass every where, they have only recently got it all cleared away.
    Is your blue bin 'household ' ?  We're still at the black bag stage - but do have the brown one for garden
    refuse, only used when shrub clearing really.

Thanks again for all your info,  much appreciated,

floss xxx

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 10:47:33 »

Hi posie, 

Having to store that sort of waste for two weeks is a bit grim - and for someone elses pocket !

Yes they are having a laugh       ;)   My feelings would be to have nothing to do with it -
   I expect you use your kitchen waste for your own compost  and quiet rightly too.

Have you looked at the customers lately ,       ;D

floss xxx

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 10:50:48 »
When i worked for the COOP we had 3 glass banks in the carpark for green, brown and clear bottles, but when they collected them they were all tipped into the lorry together.  ???

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 11:02:08 »

Oh noooooo,  frogslegs - I'm losing the will to live       ;D

We use our local Co-op banks too, but sometimes divert to other banks so's
  the locals can't tell how much wine we drink !    ;)

I'm gonna rebel against the system now  --  shall mix all my glass up !      8)

floss xxx

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 11:02:52 »

Hi posie, 

Having to store that sort of waste for two weeks is a bit grim - and for someone elses pocket !

Yes they are having a laugh       ;)   My feelings would be to have nothing to do with it -
   I expect you use your kitchen waste for your own compost  and quiet rightly too.

Have you looked at the customers lately ,       ;D

floss xxx

I use the veg peelings etc for my own compost, the bones/meat etc I've always thrown out so initially thought this was a good idea.  They've given mini bins for kitchen and a larger one that's allegedly animal proof (I have two springer spaniels and believe me they are NOT animal proof), there's also plenty of room for flies to get in there.  Given that I have the biggest maggot phobia on the planet, this is not a good thing and I am tempted to just not bother to be honest.

As for the customers, each time I've come out of Asda I've been in a foul mood!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 11:12:19 »

Me too posie , me too,          ;D

I reckon we have got to stand up and be counted in this nanny state of ours,
  feel like I'm back at school - do this , do that !      :(

Have had 3 lots of forms in as many weeks, requesting that we fill in a survey [ off topic
  for a minute ] ,  I just wont tell bods all my business- not that I have anything to hide,
  but it's an intrusion of privicy to me.  They are now getting stropy and sending reminder
  cards !!     Know what Ace would say  and I'll go with that !

floss xxx

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 12:25:32 »
For recycling to work, manufacturers have to use 100% of recycled material.
If they don't it's obviously going to go to landfill.

Landfill will help with global warming anyway, making the country slightly higher to negate the effect of rising sea levels.  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 12:39:48 »
I heard on the radio that they are starting to mine landfill sites!!  :)
You couldn't make it up!

cindy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 14:09:14 »
Yes I noticed that as well. What a cheek.  We go to the re cycle about once every two weeks.  I will not take anything with packaging if I can help.  Prefer to use unpacked vegetables and my own bags.
What I want to know is the Government are on about us all recycling so if that is the case why do they allow manufactures to make plastic that cannot be recycled and why do they allow imports with plastic etc that cannot be recycled.  Time to stand up and be counted, anyone who makes plastic that  cannot be recycled should be fined until they either stop using plastic and turn to using glass at least that can be recycled or even a thick cardboard (good on the garden to keep those weeds down).
Regards Cindy

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 14:35:03 »
As already said there's no money in cardboard or plastic, I worked in paper recycling for fifteen years and watched the prices go up and down, at its peak carboard was worth £60 pound per tonne to the public and it didn't have to be clean, but that didn't last and it went down to £40 for clean cardboard for quite a few years,  then gradually went down until it was free to tip only. Our council only want plastic bottles in our recycle bin, the reason was that they are sent to a company who make fleeces with them, other plastics including food wrapping and yogurt cartons are advised to be thrown in the rubbish bags. Our rubbish goes to an Incinerator in En field and surrounding councils use the incinerator, hence no landfill but as Ace says what crap are they pumping into the atmosphere.    ???   :-\         ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal