Author Topic: RoastTomato Soup  (Read 1926 times)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
RoastTomato Soup
« on: September 03, 2004, 10:50:21 »
Just a made up recipe as I have made various version sof tomato soup this year, with peppers, with chillies, with basil, etc.

I decided not to bother peeling the tomatoes but chose to do a roast tom soup instead. No weights or measures but tastes very nice.

Picked loads of tomatoes, a mixture of Marmande, Tiggerella, Gardeners Delight and Big Boy. About a bucket full, did not weigh them.

These I roughly chopped and threw into backing trays with 4 roughly chopped onions. Drizzled over olive oil and sprinkled mixed herbs and and dry basil.

Popped into a 200c oven for 30 minutes turning twice.

Meanwhile in a large heavey saucepan I dry fried 12 slices of smoked bacon that I had roughly chopped. As this started to brown I dumped in 6 sliced garlic cloves and fried for another 5 minutes.

Once the tomatoes had started to brown and soften I dumped the lot into the pan with the bacon/garlic. Seasoned with salt and pepper, added a spoonful of sugar and crumbled 2 dried chillies. I then added about 2 pints of home made chicken stock.

Finally I peeled 2 medium potatoes and boiled until just soft, added these to the soup to thicken it.

This was left to bubble away for 30 minutes and then I used a hand blender to produce a thick soup. Cooled over night and will be batched and frozen later today. Intial tasting was encouraging.

Probally not the ulitmate tomato soup but very nice and will go down a storm in the winter. Total quantity produced was about 10/15 pints.

Enjoy

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
Re:RoastTomato Soup
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 12:39:38 »
my god that sounds great!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:RoastTomato Soup
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 13:17:24 »
That sounds good, leaving out the bacon and swapping the chicken stock for veg stock (devote veggie here!)
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal