Author Topic: Cutting back?  (Read 3810 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Cutting back?
« on: January 31, 2009, 14:53:08 »
As mentionedbefore, I have a Jalapeno and an Apache which I dug out of growbags and brought inside. They have continued to fruit through the winter but are now getting rather straggly.

Can I cut them back to rejuvenate them? If so, how and when?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Cutting back?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 11:24:53 »
Bump!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 13:49:20 »
caroline
yes you can, somewhere i know it was discussed on here,
if i see it i'll post the link for you
lbb

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 14:25:53 »
Assuming its the first year you've over wintered them I'd cut the Apache back to about 6 to 7 inches and assuming the Jalapeno is a taller plant, cut that back to 7 to 8 inches.

Don't feed or re-pot at this point, just make sure the soil is damp rather than wet. They should start sprouting new leaves quite quickly. Pot on, if necessary, once the plant is reasonably leafy again. If you don't re-pot (being a small plant the Apache probably won't need it) don't forget a light feed from time to time as the soil might be a bit tired.

[attachment=1]

This is an Apache a couple of weeks after pruning

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 15:15:09 »
Thanks, Barnowl, that's really helpful. Would you just use a general plant food?

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:21:54 »
You can use a general plant food, but the consensus seems to be that tomato feed (like Tomarite) is a better balance for peppers.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:25:01 »
Well, I took the plunge (or the secateurs!) yesterday. Just wondering whether to remove the sideshoots below the cut on the Jalapeno.They are quite leafy and about 6"long, and a few have flower buds.
Also wondering whether these could go back outside in the summer,or will they have been too pampered to survive?

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 13:03:45 »
Sorry, caroline I missed your posting.

I remove any existing side shoots, but if they are looking healthy, I'm not sure if that's best practice  :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 13:54:47 »
Caroline I've been keeping 2 potted Apaches going through the winter in my kitchen. I plan to move them into my (unheated) g/house in the Spring & hopefully grow them on. But I'll be sowing fresh Apache seeds as well. Just an experiment this year...

I've taken on board the Tomorite feed and as mine are showing new leaf growth praps I'll give them a little boost now.

Cheers!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal