Author Topic: Bramble roots  (Read 1358 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Bramble roots
« on: January 30, 2009, 15:18:17 »
I have been trying to "reclaim" a part of my allotment which, despite being covered in balck plastic since before we got the plot (at least 3 years) has become infested with brambles. I have now dug out the main brambles and the decayed plastic but I know there will still be loads of roots further down. I don't think I've got the time or the energy to dig any further down, so i was wondering whether I could plant potatoes on this patch and just chop/dig any brambles that re-appear, or would this be asking too much of the spuds? Would it help to cover with plastic/ textile and plant through it?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Bramble roots
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 16:16:15 »
I would be tempted to put a nice thick layer of manure on top, plant spuds and pull out any brambles that dare show their heads...you could also put another layer of black plastic on top as well I suppose, but if it has been covered for three years I'd want the rain to get at it for a bit. Where my old shed used to be took months to get properly moist, the soil was like dust when we uncovered it!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 16:55:24 »
Just keep pulling any tops and roots as they come through during the potato cultivation...  :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 17:08:25 »
..... and at the end of the season reach for the SBK brush killer  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 12:00:16 »
Thanks, it's a relief to know I don't have to try to get it all out- I'm still aching from yesterday's efforts!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal