Author Topic: allotments in or near medway, kent?  (Read 6608 times)

Karyn

allotments in or near medway, kent?
« on: January 07, 2009, 22:48:22 »
Hi all
I am currently on the waiting list for an allotment in medway and have been for over a year now. We are now getting desperate!!!!

Does anyone know of any vacant/neglected plots in or near Gillingham?I would be eternally grateful if anyone can help. We would even be willing to share if it meant getting a start on growing our own.

Thanks

Karyn

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: allotments in or near medway, kent?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 09:49:02 »
hiya, karyn..welcome to the site  ;D
sorry, we're up north so can't help  :-\

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:18:30 »
Welcome to the site Karyn

This might work, it's for London but might cover other areas. Just type in your postcode.
http://www.london.gov.uk/allotments/map/

There might be allotments near you that you do not know about.

Neil

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 16:07:24 »
Hi Karyn and welcome to A4A.

From experience of waiting on my council waiting list for over 12 years (they didn't have any site until 3 years ago);
I decided 2 years ago to try another area five miles away. I was lucky to get a plot after 8 months  :D

What you have to do is contact the list holder and enquire every couple of months, just so they don't *Forget You*.
I still ring my own town council every three months, each time it's still the same old story  :'(.
I'm now #4 on the list, down from about 92

Lauren  :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 16:09:01 by Lauren S »
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Karyn

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 18:28:17 »
Hi Karyn and welcome to A4A.

From experience of waiting on my council waiting list for over 12 years (they didn't have any site until 3 years ago);
I decided 2 years ago to try another area five miles away. I was lucky to get a plot after 8 months  :D

What you have to do is contact the list holder and enquire every couple of months, just so they don't *Forget You*.
I still ring my own town council every three months, each time it's still the same old story  :'(.
I'm now #4 on the list, down from about 92

Lauren  :)

i have been keeping in regular contact with them every couple of months or so, but no luck as yet. As DH is is disabled the lottie needs to be within relatively easy reach of home (he is unable to drive) so it rules out getting one in another authority area unfortunately.

I was really hoping that their might be some allotment holders in my area who might know of neglected plots so I could put a bit of pressure on the council to reassign them to people on the list.

thanks for all the replies so far though!

Karyn

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 18:37:24 »
I was really hoping that their might be some allotment holders in my area who might know of neglected plots so I could put a bit of pressure on the council to reassign them to people on the list.

thanks for all the replies so far though!

Karyn

Hi Karyn and welcome.

The best way to to do that is go and visit the site(s) where you want to be and walk around.  Note down the neglected plots, take photos, talk to plotholders.  Then you have something concrete to pressure the council with.  Good luck!

digger46

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 21:58:59 »
HI   KARYN

IM    IN   GILLINGHAM  KENT    WERE   ARE  YOU   

I   MIGHT   BE   ABLE   TO  HELP   YOU.

ONLY IM  A  REPERSENTIVE   ON   4   SITES

FROM    DIGGER46.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal