Author Topic: What Do You Grow For Your Plant Sales/Seed Swaps  (Read 1340 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
What Do You Grow For Your Plant Sales/Seed Swaps
« on: January 31, 2009, 18:19:18 »
What sort of plants do you grow for your seed swaps/plant sales?

Which plants always go well, and you never have enough of?

Lauren  :D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: What Do You Grow For Your Plant Sales/Seed Swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 19:00:18 »
I got rid of all my hostas at a plant sale. Potted up, cheap, lost the names, reasonable leaves on them. I have keenly bought named tomato plants and sweet peas.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 20:10:12 »
anything cheap and cheerful, we never have enough marigolds, nasturtiums, bedding begonia,busy lizzie, sweet peas..we could sell twice as many...lobelia, all the normal stuff, lots of our customers are pensioners and we have several special needs homes near to us,  we also do shrubs and cuttings in autumn, this year, we have approx 400 carnations  :o
also have hanging baskets, we make most of the money on them..plus, any tomatoes and veggie plants left over get sold..ours is first may bank holiday  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 20:53:56 »
Like Manics, anything and everything. Usually not enough beans.. and too many Tomatoes. That's probably because we are the first Sunday in June and people have got their Toms by then...  :-X

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 17:27:56 »
What a wonderful topic to brainstorm on.   :)
We've found that unusual tom varieties and cherry toms always do well (I think a lot of people buying for growbags prefer cherry toms).
Strawberries are another winner. Most years, I manage to get a good number potted up, grown on a bit and in flower. (Little just-potted runners won't sell as well.) Again, named varieties sell best (I also label them with a note of when they fruit).

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 17:48:37 »
I'm trying to grow more herbs this year as I think of all those pots of herbs people buy in supermarkets that die within a week  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 17:52:35 »
I would think veg plants would go well this year as more people start wanting to grow their own in the recession. By early summer they will have bought up the "growing kits" which are on sale everywhere now, found they don't work and will be wanting replacements! ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal