Author Topic: Seeds at Lidl  (Read 2701 times)

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
Seeds at Lidl
« on: January 29, 2009, 16:30:41 »
Did anyone make it to Lidl today to buy seeds? I don't have the car so will probably go tomorrow. Just wondering what they have this year. Impatient I know.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Seeds at Lidl
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 18:15:44 »
been today for stationery but didn't look at the seeds, I'm waiting for thursday when they get the fruit trees  ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 22:49:41 »
I bought Melon Charentais 28p and Climbing French Bean Neckarkoenigen 47p. They have  quite a variety of veg and flower seeds.

Tricia

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 09:27:44 »
Fruit trees next Thursday at the store near us. It's great being retired but not having my own car is not. Not to mention not having my wages.

becs

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:20:08 »
I got a few seeds on wednesday.. they had chard, french dwarf beans (green and yellow varieties), cabbage, carrots, beetroot, squash (patty pan), tomatoes, courgettes, runner beans, salad, radish (about 4 types)... and more!

The fruit trees - would I be able to put one in a large pot (am looking at apple)? or would I be better getting a minerette?

allanwoolley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 12:49:49 »
Hi,   My wife has just bought me 'Ornamental Squash Mix' seeds complete with compost and seed tray from Lidl 69p for ten seeds.   The photo on the front makes them as attractive as gourds but as they are called 'squashes' does anyone know if they are edible or not because there is no reference to whether they are or not on the packaging.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 12:56:46 »
I would suggest that as they're called ornamental squashes they wouldnt be the best varieties for eating, more for autumnal displays.
Best laid plans and all that

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 13:57:44 »
Hi,   My wife has just bought me 'Ornamental Squash Mix' seeds complete with compost and seed tray from Lidl 69p for ten seeds.   The photo on the front makes them as attractive as gourds but as they are called 'squashes' does anyone know if they are edible or not because there is no reference to whether they are or not on the packaging.
don't eat them, a friend grew these and gave us some to eat, he didn't know they were ornamentals, they tasted horrid  :-X

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 14:08:43 »
If they've got the radish Ostergruss Rosso or something, there are a few of us here who've 'discovered' them and raved about them 8)...they grow SO big and long without a hard core I was even experimenting baking them last year ;D.....for 49p or whatever, give them a go 8)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 16:28:41 »
yep, I did, I got radishes, carrots and aubergines (29 cents a packet or about 25p I guess) and courgettes, yellow wax beans, kelvdeon peas and some baby tomato mix, that includes some Sungold! (59 cents each or about 45p)
Their yellow beans are really good, this is the third year I am growing them, they are very reliable and even if they get quite big, the pods stay tender. i am guessing that for radishes you can't go much wrong and i never have luck with carrots anyway. Last year i sowed three times and probably got about 8 edible carrots :(
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

becky0129

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 17:33:06 »
i got seeds on Sunday excellent price got flowers and veg for the allotment got 26 packets only 10 pound bargain  ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 18:14:04 »
Hello Becky and welcome to A4A

Good luck with your flower and veg seeds. Take lots of pics  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 18:36:26 »
Hi and welcome Becky....... ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

becky0129

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 18:55:37 »
thank you for the welcome been on this site for 5 years but never say much leave that to Andy H who is my husband  ;D will take photos going to try some lidl seeds this year keeping rest for next year going back this weekend to have another look cant wait for march and april when really busy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal