Author Topic: Can I freeze seville oranges?  (Read 16176 times)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
Can I freeze seville oranges?
« on: January 29, 2009, 07:31:56 »
I very enthusiastically bought 10 kg of seville oranges, and have already made 3 kg of marmalade. Another 3 kgs is getting made today - but then I'm out of jam jars!   ::)

I was wondering if I could freeze the oranges somehow, to make the marmelade at a later date.

If so, at what stage of preparation can I freeze them? Obviously I would like to reduce the volume of them first!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Re: Can I freeze seville oranges?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 07:42:08 »
they definately say they do on the 'have sevilles' thread
lbb

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 08:00:53 »
Yes - but I was wondering when the best stage of freezing them was as I want to reduce the volume for the freezer (lack of space there too) - cooked but still whole, or chopped and prepared with the pectin, before or after mixed with the sugar  ......

... as I've found with some fruit that when it is mixed with the sugar, it doesn't freeze so well.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 12:22:52 »
Seville oranges freeze fine. To reduce the space they take up, chop them up roughly and freeze in a plastic bag lined square container, when frozen remove your container and leave the square bag in the freezer. Don't mix with sugar or pectin or cook before freezing. You don't need pectin at all with seville oranges anyway, they must be the most pectin loaded fruit in the world!

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 20:26:03 »
Good grief !  and here I thought that I was mad by buying 4kgs seville oranges.  Mine are all made though and I have already handed out half a dozen bottles.  Note to myself - if you keep giving it away you will run out again by beginning of December and have nasty side effects...

I think Jenny's advice is good.  Mmhh wonder if I can smuggle in another couple of kgs as I want to try Sarah Raven's seville icecream....

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 19:02:50 »
Yes - always freeze some spares. We do them whole.

But, for recipes needing Zest, the post on freezing Zest & Juice separately was a good one. Frozen Oranges don't take kindly to zesting. Nor do your hands!

papay

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 16:21:44 »
Yes - always freeze some spares. We do them whole.

But, for recipes needing Zest, the post on freezing Zest & Juice separately was a good one. Frozen Oranges don't take kindly to zesting. Nor do your hands!

I'm a new boy to A4A, can someone please point me in the direction of the "freezing Zest and Juice" post? I've searched the site without success.

Many thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal