Author Topic: Summer Savory  (Read 2702 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Summer Savory
« on: January 27, 2009, 17:43:41 »
Hi. I’m planning to grow summer savory with broad beans this year – I’ve read that it can help in preventing aphid attacks etc and is a good companion plant. As I’ve never tried this before I have a couple of questions
As per the seed packet it says to sow in March directly – as I’ve got 2 lots of broad beans planned Aquadulce (autumn sown) and the Sutton (for spring sowing) – should I sow some earlier in pots indoors and then plant out alongside the plants (Aquadulce) ? Or would it be too late LOL!
Also how should I sow / plant them – in amongst the beans, at the end of rows and how many?
I also hope to manage to try this herb as I’ve never had it before  ;D
Thanks for your help

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Summer Savory
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 18:46:35 »
I grew them a few years ago, for planting with the runner beans,supposed to stop wind  ;D
I grew them indoors and transplanted them, got too many, froze some of the leaves with the beans, seem to remember they were quite easy  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 19:22:05 »
We grow them on in pots then use them in dividing up the beds inside the pottager... I'll put up a pic later but am late for a comm. meeting!  ;D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:50:02 »
Thanks for the info - so there'll be more pots on the window cills then!
looking forward to the pics Saddad

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:50:04 »
I grew them a few years ago, for planting with the runner beans,supposed to stop wind  ;D ...

Great I'll plant some, our allotment is very windy!!!  ;) ;D :o ::) ;)
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:20:38 »
French marigolds between the cabbages... dividing the beds..

The Summery Savoury is just visible between the bean wigwams...
 :-\

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 12:30:24 »
thanks for the great photos and inspiration SD - totally impressed at your plot - makes mine look like the overgrown "field" that it is   ;D  ::)
Have sown some Summer Savory in pots today - heres hoping for less wind and less aphids !

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 13:26:07 »
I think this illustrates one of the major problems with so-called companion planting - the assumption that the mere presence of one plant helps another.

Unfortunately, because of different sowing/growing/flowering times, its often not possible/practical to have the companion plant mature enough to have any effect on the crop. This is especially true where the companion plant attracts beneficial insects when it flowers - often the flowers appear too late or early to boost the beneficial insect population to coincide with your food crop needs.

Broad beans would normally be nearly finished by the time Summer Savoury gets any way mature/big enough to have an effect.

Also just because a companion plant was grown and no pest appeared is NOT proof that it was down to the companion plant. Often crops get no pests attacking them with or without companion plant being there.

Some TLC is the best way of looking after your crop - no matter what method you use. I can see from the pics shown here that the plot is well looked after - its your care and attention that counts I reckon.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 15:29:40 »
I grew summer savoury around the base of my climbing feech beans last year, and they grew to be quite large fragrant bushes. I can't say the beans did particularly well due to the weather, but they did not suffer any insect attack either.

However, one unexpected drawback I did find was that our local fox population loved them, they would make a beeline for those bushes and wee on them....very stinky! Suffice to say I did not use them as a herb to eat, and ended up pulling them early to deter the foxes, they haven't shown any interest in my plot since! :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 17:47:17 »
thanks for the replies - including the warning about fox pee!
I think you raise an interesting point there GodfreyRob about companion planting - about exactly how beneficial it is and the timing. However as I plan to sow a later variety of BB's it will be interesting to see what flowers and when.
I also think the tidy plot thing is a good point - last year my BB's were near longer grass which apparently harbours the aphids - so no long grass this year for me - and unfortunately the pics were Saddads plot not mine  :(  :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal