Author Topic: Info on mobility scooters needed please  (Read 1707 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Info on mobility scooters needed please
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:24:04 »
Does anyone have any help they can give me on buying a mobility scooter, it seems I am going to have to get one and there seems so many out there.

Undecided about  when to buy...before we travel to Canada or when we get there.

Advantage..it  would be easier in a scooter rather than in a wheelchair which i will have to use.

Disadvantage.. would a UK one readily charge etc there.

Anyway, any pros or conns to any of them would be useful at this stage.

Thank you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Info on mobility scooters needed please
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:13:21 »
There is a fairly extensive FAQ & buyers guide here.
http://www.help-my-mobility.co.uk/mobility-scooters.htm

You should just need a new battery charger when you get to Canada.
One possible disadvantage of buying one here would be servicing/parts once you decide on a model you would have to research the availability of that model in Canada too so you can be reasonably sure you can get it serviced over there when required.
The highway code has a section dedicated to mobility scooters & class 3 scooters have to be refistered with the DVLA. You should check wether there are any guidelines/legal requirements mobility scooters have to adhere to in Canada.

UK requirements for class 3 vehicles can be found here:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/invalid_vehicles.aspx?keywords=mobility
http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/access/tipws/codeofpracticeforclass3vehic6165
Highway code leaflet can be downloaded here:
http://www.roadsafetywales.co.uk/resources/info/14448_14448ROSPAMobilityBIENG_HR.pdf

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 11:16:31 »
I'd wait and buy in Canada if you can - VAT is a lot less there so I'm pretty sure they are less expensive. I don't think it will be long before I shall need one and they are pretty pricy for a good one here.

Tricia

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:25:24 »
 Jennine, if you are registered disabled you will be exempt from VAT,  i wonder if servicing would be a problem if you bought one here . Myself i would wait untill i got to Canada.  I have just bought one for the car v.v. usefull, my big one is great but the time has come for the car one now,  i have already found it a blessing.
Choose wisely when you buy make sure your legs are very comfortable Jennine have a good test run with it. All the best with your purchase wherever you decide to buy.  Love Maryx.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 11:42:34 »
Jeannine, I agree with everyone else on here that you would be better buying a scooter in Canada. 

When you book your flight, tell them that you are disabled and say you need a wheelchair and porter to take you to the plane.  When you book in, remind them again and they will call for the porter to come with a wheelchair to take you to a special lounge for disabled passengers.  John will be able to come with you all but it will save him having to push you himself.  When it is time to board the porter comes again to take you to the plane. 

When you are across the Atlantic you will be met at the plane door by another porter with a wheelchair.  He will be with you when you collect your luggage and then you and John will be whisked through to a special desk for border control, rather than joining the queue with the other passengers.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 15:16:42 »
Adding to everything already written but specifically about the Ca/UK purchase of a chair. Buy Canadian (or US import) I'd say. Design is so far superior to anything here - in fact a friend's recently bought one is a US import. Google and have a look at what's available? I can find you the make she's bought if you like?

Lish x

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 14:35:00 »
Hi all. thank you for all the advice, and the link which I found very interesting. I think you are may be right and I will buy in Canada. I do have a regular wheelchair so I can travel in that.

I aim to get a super duper one. if I am to have to get one I want it to be a smasher, I wonder if they come in hot pink with fur seats!!.

I find it quite amazing when I see the number of them on the UK streets and malls, I rarely saw one in Canada, maybe I am just looking now and hadn't noticed before.

I would never accept the disabled thing..idiot that I am, so the cost would be born by us, although we do have lifetime private company insurance in Canada still so maybe it would be covered by that.?

XX Jeannine

Thanks for the help,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 18:29:18 »
I aim to get a super duper one. if I am to have to get one I want it to be a smasher, I wonder if they come in hot pink with fur seats!!.
XX Jeannine

Thats got me thinking - have you heard of the programe Pimp My ride (I've never seen it tho) basically about people who do up their cars. you could start a whole new trend with pimping my mobility scooter   ;D ;D ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 16:00:34 »
Hi Jeannine , I've may have found the perfect wheelchair, the only problem is you'll need some pretty high raised beds  :)

http://www.tankchair.com/

Seriously, I hope everything gets better for you, you've obviously been having a pretty rough time recently.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 02:09:10 »
Wow did I ever get excited, then the let down.. it doesn't come in hot pink..double drat. XX Jeannine

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 01:39:28 »
jeannine

Are you moving to Canada permanently or just going on holiday 'cos if it's just a holiday can't you rent/hire one for the duration of your stay?

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 02:43:58 »
We are moving back permanently, we have been here 8 years oinly XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal