Author Topic: Backing up your photos  (Read 4673 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Backing up your photos
« on: January 25, 2009, 16:22:29 »
I backed up all my 2008 photo's onto one of my external hard drives this morning (it was raining) does everyone else back up theirs?? ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Backing up your photos
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 17:06:54 »
All our photos get downloaded from the camera-card into both computers, so unless they both fail at the same time  :-X we've still got them on disc.

But our son is in I.T. and he tells us off something rotten if we don't back everything up. So twice a day all my stuff - containing correspondence, finances, official allotment stuff & so on - gets backed up wirelessly onto my wife's computer; then every couple of weeks I transfer all of that, plus all of her stuff, onto an external hard drive.

A few years back my hard drive went and I lost the lot! Don't want that again!

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:39:07 »
You never know the true value of a backup until you need it and its not there.
Ask yourself how much would it cost to repalce all this information. Some of it is unreplaceable (photos etc) some is just a right royal pain (financial stuff, tax returns etc....)
I use something called  a HP medismart server. Automatically backs up all windows computers in the home everyday. VERY good when I needed it. Well worth the cost of not lossing 6Gb of photos from our Kenya safari and 32Gb of camcorder files from Treetops, Samburu and the Masai Mara.....

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 20:13:38 »
I back up all our stuff on an external 500gb h/d attached to the wireless router so that the laptops can access it.

Don't forget to back up you favourites as well, all the allotment and seed sites that you visit and save will be a right pain to find again.

Neil

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 20:51:11 »
Have just learned this very lesson! External hard drive now purchased and photos backed up.
Smile, it confuses people.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 21:00:13 »
Most certainly tonybloke!
I have two h/d. One is partitioned for system/files and the second for backed up files.
If one drive goes down I don't lose anything.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 21:01:13 »
I back up all our stuff on an external 500gb h/d attached to the wireless router so that the laptops can access it.

Don't forget to back up you favourites as well, all the allotment and seed sites that you visit and save will be a right pain to find again.

Neil
how do you back up your favourites?
You couldn't make it up!

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 21:14:02 »
Its located in your documents and settings in xp, i don't know where on other operating systems.

On mine it's:

my computer- documents and setting-neil

Then just copy the yellow favourites and paste to where you need it to be backed up.

Now is also a good time to delete all the links you don't need anymore.

Neil

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 21:52:07 »
Found it!!, now copying favourites onto external hard drive, Thanks neil,  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 22:09:09 »
So what happens if your backup external drive goes Kaput? Wouldn't it be better to burn all your files onto cd/DVD and ALSO store them on line with, say, photobucket or Flickr? Then at least you would have two chances at recovery if something went wrong.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 23:09:06 »
Ideally both, I back up regularly onto two DVDs - and always when I've just been doing important accounting work etc.  My goodness it's a life=saver when things go wrong.  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:21:15 »
So what happens if your backup external drive goes Kaput?

If your backup goes bad you have the originals. The idea of a backup is that you have two copies (at least) of important files on separate media, be it hard disk, DVD or some other media which is OTT for home use. The media should be on separate power supplies (biggest cause of computers going "pop") and, if your very paranoid, in separate locations. A friend who works in IT used to backup his home network to tape and shove it in his glove box of his car. His whole house could burn down and he would still have his data....

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 11:23:52 »
My nephew and his girlfriend were burgled recently.  Both their laptops were taken, and although they had taken backups (they backed up on DVD and kept them in a laptop case).  The burglers found the case in a cupboard, put the laptops into it, so they lost all their backups as well.
The Tuscan Beaneater

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 11:43:53 »
Just back up onto DVD and keep a copy in the car / garage/ wherever so that in the event of burglary / fire / flood you are protected.

And as asbean says not in the laptop bag!!  Wonder if they have an entry in their address book for "Mr Pin.."  ;D
Best laid plans and all that

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 15:20:25 »
Just read this, well it is snowing!. I have always backed up everything to Cd's for a long time. BUT if your internal hard disc goes, do not panic. Do not Reload Windows  that way you do lose everything.
When ours went I got an ICY box and a new hard drive for the computer. We put the new drive into the machine and reloaded Windows. The old drive went into the ICY box and became an external drive. Now we used a Recovery program (free from GUI) and lifted almost everything off the old damaged drive. About the only thing we lost was music which we had on CD's for listening in any case. Then since the old drive was damaged we fitted another new drive into the ICY box and hey presto, an external HDD for storage!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 20:34:30 »
My nephew and his girlfriend were burgled recently.  Both their laptops were taken, and although they had taken backups (they backed up on DVD and kept them in a laptop case).  The burglers found the case in a cupboard, put the laptops into it, so they lost all their backups as well.

Which is one of the reasons I always take my 500gb LaCie with me when I go away.

I use Time Machine which keeps a complete clone of my main HD. It backs up any changes every hour for one week, creates a weekly backup for four weeks, then monthly and so on until it's full and the oldest ones start falling off the end. At the moment I can go back to June 07.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 22:25:27 »
always back up to dvd, was one of the golden rules that was drummed into me by my son who taught me everything I know about computers

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 09:42:05 »
My son backs up all my photos to CD. My Nephew's wife has spent days/months searching my family tree, as soon as she sends me information I print everything. This is mainly so that my Grandchildren will have sight of everything (when I am gone :)) I must admit that nothing else is backed up, food for thought.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 09:56:15 »
When our PC went, so did our external back-up drive!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 10:00:29 »
When our PC went, so did our external back-up drive!

How the heck did you blow-up your external one, Tim?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal