Author Topic: Small wildlife pond  (Read 28725 times)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Small wildlife pond
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2009, 12:08:10 »
Hi Hopalong

The pond has a gentle slope of pebbles to get out and is adjacent to the log pile, some large stones and any number of plants for shelter.  I don't think is was a cat or bird as there were no visible signs of attack.  I'm wondering if the water temperature might have something to do with it as it has been very warm recently?

Plants are fine, thanks, but I envy you your water lily. 

G x

i think you might be right about the water temp. my two mini ponds are made from old kids plastic sand pits and my froglets arrived just as the temps started to climb and the water level was only half full, the pond that gets the least amount of shade started to produce dead froglets and i also thought they may have been overheating so i topped up the water level and i haven't seen any dead ones since.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2009, 20:35:43 »
Can I ask what water you used to top up the ponds.  Was it rain water, boiled tap water or straight tap water?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2009, 02:29:28 »
Georgie i would normally use rain water to top up my ponds but my butts are nearly dry and i have to hold back a few buckets to water my acid loving plants i have in pots. my neighbour always tops up with tap water so i followed suit but i really do prefer rain water.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2009, 21:38:27 »
Georgie i would normally use rain water to top up my ponds but my butts are nearly dry and i have to hold back a few buckets to water my acid loving plants i have in pots. my neighbour always tops up with tap water so i followed suit but i really do prefer rain water.

Now that's really interesting.  I was in the same boat as you (no rain water) so I also used tap water.  I think that might be to blame.  Hopefully an expert will be along soon to give their opinion.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2009, 11:05:53 »
oh dear first shallots hit in me in july and i'm stuck in place of rehabilitation. no place for allotments for a while.......
Keep Calm and Carry On

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2009, 23:16:51 »
oh dear first shallots hit in me in july and i'm stuck in place of rehabilitation. no place for allotments for a while.......

get well soon hopalong :)

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal