Author Topic: Veg. plot : spoilt for choice : advice sought  (Read 1288 times)

robinaber

• Quarter Acre
  • Aberporth, near Cardigan, West Wales
Veg. plot : spoilt for choice : advice sought
« on: January 23, 2009, 21:12:47 »
I have been looking for land to grow vegetables for a few months, advertising in shop windows, asking the locals and writing to the County Council with no response. However one day on the village notice board I saw details of the Community Councillors so I wrote to one of them. I didn't hear anything for a while so imagine my surprise when one day I returned home to phone messages from folk saying they had land suitable for veg. growing.

Looking in the local newspaper the same day I was amazed to see a piece headed up 'Plea for allotment or kitchen garden' so the Community Councillor must have sent my details to the newspaper without my knowing. How kind! So far I have had about six people contact me and will be having a look at all the land being offered over the weekend.

I can only choose one so how do I go about it? What do you think are the most important points? Some will require a lot of work, others not so much. Some are a good distance away, others very near. How can I tell at a glance if the soil is up to scratch?

Many questions to ask and never thought I would be in the position of having more than one to choose from! Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. Author unknown

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Veg. plot : spoilt for choice : advice sought
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 21:20:16 »
get one that's south facing and isn't over shadowed, walk with a fork and dig a couple small holes to get a general idea of the soil type/ structure. others I'm sure will be around to put their pennies worth.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 21:20:55 »
I would use distance as a criteria... the nearer the better, no time lost travelling, easier to "keep an eye on"...
Difficult to judge fertility at this time of year... a good stand of weeds, esp things like stinging nettles are the classic signs... might still spot some nettles, failing that a good thatch of dead grass...  ;D

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 21:22:54 »
Well done!  Pesistence does pay.  I'd say that whether it needs a lot of work is less important than some other criteria.

If it's near your home, you're likely to want to go there more often.

Is there easy access for you, your tools and equipment.  Can you get a vehicle there for heavy stuff?

Is there access to water?

Will you be able to put up a shed/greenhouse/poly if you want to?

Is it secure?

What is the aspect like?  How much sun does it get?  Is it heavily shaded by buildings/trees etc.

You can improve the quality of the soil by working it but it's harder to fix these things.  If weeds are growing, it's probably OK!

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:32:30 »
Just to add to a lot of the good advice you have been given by other members.

You have said that you have the offer of at least six plots of land so i would also look at who is offering it to you and how long are they going to let you keep it are they prepared to give you some sort of lease or some other form of written agreement.

I think along with the other advice it is something you should take into consideration as the last thing you want is for you to get the land into order and have it taken back.

I am not trying to dampen your spirit with this comment i am just asking you to take the above into consideration before fully making your mind up which plot you are going to take .Wishing you all the luck.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:16:08 »
i had to make a similar decision. my friend who lives round the corner offerd me the bottom of her garden to cultivate. but i took an allotment plot 2 miles away as her house is on the market!!!!! ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 15:36:43 »
We gave up a half plot that was 5 mins walk away. We chose to take a plot about 5 miles away because the ground was a lot better
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 20:07:01 »
Thats fantastic Rob! ;D

All good advice....specially the lease bit as Moonbeam says.

I too would opt for the closest, unless its just rubble. You can improve the ground each year ;D

Best of luck, let us know how you get on ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

robinaber

• Quarter Acre
  • Aberporth, near Cardigan, West Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 21:29:50 »
Many thanks for all your advice and kind words. Have now looked at all the plots I needed to, and I've chosen one that is about ten minutes drive away which is a garden (about a third of an acre) to a property which belonged to the lady's late father. Nice and secluded but lots of work to prepare ground. However, lucky me, I've got a greenhouse to play with. Have never had one before he he.

It's not been used for about nine years so overgrown mainly with grass. It also has a brick cold frame minus the glass. Will take photos and try to put it on this site later.

Will no doubt have many questions to ask as I go along so hope you will bear with me but only one for now please:

What is the best way to clean the glass in the greenhouse? Thought I would make this my first job

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. Author unknown

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 22:30:14 »
we use vinegar, washing up liquid and warm-ish water, big sponge,brought the green off the polytunnel a treat, next job the greenhouse  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal