Author Topic: Wilkinsons seeds  (Read 12896 times)

Daffodil

Wilkinsons seeds
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:41:47 »
Has anyone bought seeds from Wilkinsons? They seem to be very cheap, so I was thinking of buying some and giving them a try, but don't want to waste time if they aren't worth it.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Re: Wilkinsons seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:30:01 »
Again, same as most of the cheap seeds.

They're fine, but you may find a lack of choice re. varieties.   :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 08:36:42 »
They're a good buy.  I've never had any problems with viability and they seem to do well.  The varieties tend to be the tried and trusted ones that are reliable rather than exotics.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 08:57:26 »
Welcome to the site Daffodil. I've never had any problem with their seeds, just a limited range but for basics like Parsnips and carrots they are ace...  ;D

Daffodil

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 09:08:47 »
That's me sorted for tried and tested varieties then, off to Wilkinsons! Thanks for your help.

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 09:11:07 »
Lidl seeds are due in at my local shop next Thursday so I am feeling tempted to pay a visit. 28p a packet this year.

Daffodil

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 09:13:45 »
There you just had to do it didn't you worldor, now I'm in a quandry, lol. Wilkinsons seeds were mostly priced at £1 a packet so Lidl seen even better value.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 09:16:45 »
Hiya, daffodil, nice to meet you..we used both wilkies and lidl seed last year, even found some different beans in lidl, I think they were 79p last year, blauhilde, they did really well  ;D
and we used some netto ones, 19p, I think, the sunflowers were lovely  :)

cheerfulness

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 20:50:18 »
Hi Daffodil,

I too think the Netto seeds at 19p are good. Had great success with salad veg and herbs from them and we grew lots of the flowers. Well worth sowing, I think.  :)

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 21:08:03 »
In our Wilkinson's there were still some leftover seeds from last year at 75% off!!

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:40 »
They have an offer on at the moment.
I bought 3 packets, It was buy 3 get one free.
This includes Johnsons seeds too so I managed to get F1 varieties in Sungold Tomatoes Courgettes and Butternut squash for £3.
If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 17:41:21 »
They have an offer on at the moment.
I bought 3 packets, It was buy 3 get one free.
This includes Johnsons seeds too so I managed to get F1 varieties in Sungold Tomatoes Courgettes and Butternut squash for £3.

I think that Wilkos seeds are supplied by Johnsons.  Quite often you get fewer seeds in the Wilko packets, but that is often a good thing, since there are often far too many even for allotment planting!

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 22:40:25 »
I've not tried wilkinsons seeds. I have tried netto's at 19p a packet. Like has been said before they are fine for basic veg seed, its just the variety that's lacking. If you look on the back of the netto seed pack it says packed in kennett, suffolk. The only seed packing firm there is Mr Fothergills.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 22:45:08 »
tbh-i think wilkos are being a bit naughty-last year they were on average 39p a packet with every 3rd packet free-this year-fancyier and larger packet-same amount of seeds-i'm no mathematician but that seems to be way over the rate of inflation price hike- >:(
lidls and netto for me
kitty
x
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 04:52:49 »
I have just checked the dates on the packets I bought yesterday from Netto. It says to use them before 2010. This is interesting because some packs I have seen with the more expensive seeds say 2012.

It is just possible, that a certain well known brand, may sell their highly priced seeds to all the garden centres on a sale or return basis. Then when they get the unsold seeds back, repack them for a low price to a major chain. 

I am guessing of course but If I was running a business, it would make sense to me. Does any one know for a fact the arrangement the major seed companies have with garden centres?

Perhaps, may I suggest, the Garden Centres buy them for say 50p on a sale or return basis. Paying after the season when the company collects the unsold ones and Netto get them for 15p on a no-return basis paying up front. The administrative costs of the garden centre arrangement would absorb the extra price they pay and give the centres a good mark up. It would also mean that the seed companies have work all year for their staff.

I must say that when we go to Netto and buy seeds we never just have seeds in our basket at the checkout.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 07:43:47 »
Vegetable seeds, whether from the leading brands or supermarkets own label, have to meet minimum germination standards, so I don't think the leading suppliers would repack returned seeds.   The actual cost of the 'seed' in your packet is low, its the packing and distribution - and profit -that's added on!

I used to work for a leading seed supplier - if a garden centre purchased 'outright' they got a larger discount than if on a 'sale or return' - and if on a sale or return, then the amount they could return at the end of the season was limited - which may be why places like Wyevale sell off their unsold seeds cheaply at the end of the season.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 08:01:38 »
The seed companies must have loads of seeds, no doubt they pack them to suit the retailers. Major chains can buy more than a small business and can afford to make a smaller profit.

Netto seeds do not have those little foil inserts, that will cut packaging costs and may be that is what limits the 'shelf life' too.

Like loads of own brand things, Some people will just pay for a 'name'. It is a good point lavenderlux makes that all seeds must meet a certain standard. Reassuring too, to anyone wondering if they should take a chance on buying the less expensive ones.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 08:26:44 »
Vegetable seeds have minimum standards, but not flower seeds. So they can legally sell packets of meconopsis and the like, without a hope of germination by the time they get into the shops.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 08:54:09 »
I think that anyone who succeeds in growing Meconopsis is a blooming genius. I have tried several times and few different ways,even resorted to buying a plant.that died too. I have had seeds from loads of different suppliers and have had bad germination with even the most trusted of them.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 10:00:47 »
I think that anyone who succeeds in growing Meconopsis is a blooming genius. I have tried several times and few different ways,even resorted to buying a plant.that died too. I have had seeds from loads of different suppliers and have had bad germination with even the most trusted of them.

had to google this before i recognised what you both were talking about, i never tried growing them but found this in my search,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffhandley/220297629/

maybe it will help you out :-\ :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal