Author Topic: powdery mildew  (Read 4099 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
powdery mildew
« on: September 02, 2004, 12:05:25 »
Hi all, :D
           My baby bear pumpkin foliage has very quickly turned a white powdery colour & the leaves are curling up & withering. The pumpkins seem fine but are not yet ready to pick. Should I do anything to the foliage or not ??? Is this powdery mildew ??? It also has spread to my nearby peas which again are not ready to pick just yet (a late sowing). Any ideas anybody.

Adrian.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:powdery mildew
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 12:57:29 »
No expert  - can't say. But I do know that bicarb has kept in check (not cured) a very bad attack on my indoor cus. = Tim

Jak

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 13:55:08 »
Excuse my ignorance, but how do you use Bicarb (Bicarbonate of Soda I presume?)? ???  I'm getting powdery mildew on my indoor cucumbers and don't want to spray with chemicals. :o
When the tide of life turns against you, and the current upsets your boat.  Don't waste time on what might have been, just lie on your back and float.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 15:38:36 »
I guessed at 2tsp/litre, which gives pH8.5 - which seems a good figure!! = Tim

Jak

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 15:53:32 »
Thanks Tim, I'll give 'em a spray tonight - I've got some bicarb in the cupboard. :)

Jak
When the tide of life turns against you, and the current upsets your boat.  Don't waste time on what might have been, just lie on your back and float.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 16:23:07 »
- with a drop of detergent as a 'wetter'. = Tim

Bannerdown

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 19:28:10 »
I HAVE HEARD, and I think it works as I use it.....Fill a large pan with as much Mare's Tail leaves as you can, put in two to three pints of water and bring to the boil, simmer for 1/2 an hour then strain off.  Add a little LUX Flakes and mix,  dilute 20 - 1 and spray the affected areas.   :) ;)Cheers, Tony. ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 09:30:39 »
Has anyone ideas on how to prevent mildew - indoors?

Yes, I ventilate. No, I don't 'damp down' as they tell you. No, I don't foliar feed or similar unless the atmosphere is bouyant. Yes, they are well spaced.  So, please, why do I always get it? = Tim

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 15:37:23 »
Don't know Tim, but I get it too -just on the cucumbers. The toms, aubergines &c. don't seem to care, nor the strawberries although they're earlier in the year.

Jeremy

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 17:17:05 »
It is the bouyant air that is the cause, Tim, if you want to look at it that way. Air is full of fungal spores, powdery mildew included, so there is no way of stopping infection except by purifying or drying (to prevent super saturation) the air almost completely. Powdery mildew tolerates warmer conditions than most fungi and is adapted to geminate with less condensation present as a result.  

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 06:49:47 »
OK, John - I'll un-bouy (boowee, to you!) it next time!! Can't win, can you?? = Tim

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 01:32:25 »
No you can't, Tim. As soon as you 'un-buoy' you could promote grey mould or blight!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2004, 06:39:45 »
Quiet chuckle!! = Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal