Author Topic: Greenhouse planting and sowing  (Read 2371 times)

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
Greenhouse planting and sowing
« on: January 22, 2009, 13:26:06 »
Hi All
I'm new to growing under glass, although in previous years i ve grown in a small veg plot (raised bed). I'm planning to grow tomatoes, chillies, peppers and possibly tomatoes, if gowing from seed when should i be sowing and how many plants should i be able to grow in an 8 x 6 greenhouse?

Thanks for any help

PS I'm just installing a heat sump, if that affects the sowing time

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Greenhouse planting and sowing
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 13:46:07 »
Most can be sown from now until March indoors or in a heated greenhouse. Do not put them outside in a unheated greenhouse until end of April or beginning of May.  You can get 8-10 tomato plants in a 8x6 greenhouse providing you have nothing else in it. This may vary depending upon variety.  My greenhouse is the same size as yours. In it I will be growing 2 cherry, 2 cooking and 2 standard tomato plants,  3 cucumber and 2 pepper plants.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 14:57:43 »
You could nurture some bush variety tomato plants in the greenhouse, then plant them out into hanging baskets or tubs.

Sutton's 100s and 1000s, I'm trying for the first time for my baskets at home.  :D

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Vegetable+Seeds/Tomato+Hundreds+and+Thousands+Seeds+180648.htm
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 09:13:03 »
Thanks for the advise, just read my post i meant to say and possibly aubergines? not tomatoes twice. On this small scale is it more cost effective to buy plants rather than seeds and if so is it best to buy on line or from a local garden centre?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 09:58:39 »
never buy more than one of each variety of tomato plant (if you buying them). they are SO EASY to take cuttings from, and you can end up with more than enough!!
see previous posts on here ;)
You couldn't make it up!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 10:05:40 »
never buy more than one of each variety of tomato plant (if you buying them). they are SO EASY to take cuttings from, and you can end up with more than enough!!

yes i plan on doing this with my outdoor toms this year to try and extend my season by growing the cuttings on in pots to be brought into the greenhouse when the season starts to change. with any luck i might be harvesting fruit of the vine right up to Dec (maybe even Christmas) :).

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:08:01 »

some one has some great pics of this on here

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal