Author Topic: Crop protection  (Read 23057 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Crop protection
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2009, 08:55:11 »
By the way I think if you're buying actual Enviromesh this site works out a bit cheaper than Suttons.  http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Enviromesh.html

Barowl I did take a look at the above link but found that it doesn't work out much different than Suttons for the size I want which is.............4.5x2.1 or 15ftx7ft.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Levi

• Half Acre
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 20:09:40 »
It never fails to amaze me how creative some folk are, thanks for sharing your inventiveness. Can I jump on here and ask if anyone's bought any of the Lidl Arches (no parking fees  ;)), theirs are £4ish. Also thanks for the tip about the plastic cloche tunnels for Wilkies, went an bought 2 and then went back an bought 2 more. Then thought, hang on that blue water pipe's ony £20. DOH. But settled myself with thought that if you saw it as a barg then it's good enough for me and would hav had to buy the plassi and then do some clever stuff. Hope in time, I'll be inspired to you and others' ability to re-invent stuff instead of getting excited about bargains, sure would help the coffers. Thanks again.   
One Love

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 13:28:52 »
Shirlton sorry for taking so long to acknowledge - it's just 'brill', I didn't think to use canes to extend, they say keep it simple don't they, you obviously have that practical streak that I am still looking for. I was talking to a Lotti neighbour yesterday and the best we could come up with was to turn them the other way and use them down the centre-not ideal!
I will definitely copy-unabashed for pinching your idea :) :) Thank you for sharing

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 17:11:48 »
I've been looking at this thread again as i finally took the arches I got from Argos out of their boxes yesterday. Don't think they'd ever be strong enough to stand up for long on my plot, but they'll make great crop protection , so thanks again for the idea, Shirlton.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2009, 08:10:55 »
We have just put one at the entrance to our plot. Ower Tone just drives a couple of wooden posts into the ground and fastens the arch onto them with electric ties. We have also done this with the ones in the garden.
                             I want em saying

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 21:52:21 »
Look out for these arches in Wilko's at the end of the season. For the last two years I have got then discounted by 75%.
Made up to about half-height, a row of them hold the nets over all my currant bushes and gooseberries, and one straddles a cordon cherry tree with a net on.
The unused straight sections are made up into long straight rods.
Wonderfully versatile things!
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

Free as a Bird

• Not So New ...
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 14:11:21 »
Well... this is brilliant! I'm full of ideas now and have bits of arch and mesh spread all over the living room. The true spirit of the allotmenteer!   ;D ;D ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 17:17:05 »
 ;D
                             I want em saying

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2012, 14:47:07 »
I'm glad I think like other people! Before I joined up here I saw £4.99 rose arches in QD and thought I could use them for easy crop protection and/or climbing bean support so I bought 4 of them. So far I have used the top curved half of one to support netting over mangetout peas and I have the bottom half for a rectangular cloche/netting support for a future french bean planting. I intend to use the other three for a runner bean arch with canes between the arches and all connected with sturdy nylon cord.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2016, 11:23:15 »
How "springy" are these, as my beds are only one meter wide.

What an inventive lot you are. Brilliant thread. Thanks all :)
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal