Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 1689 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
What do you think?
« on: January 20, 2009, 19:59:07 »
I have noticed already and the year is only a three weeks old that we are getting questions on the same genus in successive weeks could we have threads with a 'one word title' dedicated to say;

Potatoes
Brassicas
Tomatoes
Peppers

to name but a few, the list can be increased as needs dictate.

Currently we are getting variations on the same theme thus increasing the number of threads to be answered.

At least with a 'one word title'  title there will be no mistaking what the subject is about.

These could be bumped up the list on a regular basis to make newcomers aware!

Have you noticed; already! there must have been at least  three or four threads on chitting meaning that some of us are repeatedly going over the same ground to oblige the person who submitted the question.

I am all for helping as most of you know! and although it is OK at this moment in time for me to give answers,  in two or three weeks time when I start my preparation for this season it won't be! so I thought something like this might be a way over the situation

I am not sure how such an arrangement can be carried out but I think it is a subject worth a discussion so come on lads & lassies points of view please!...TG

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 20:12:50 »
I have to agree with you TEE GEE its getting quite repetative and a one word header would be quite good.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 20:15:30 »
Sorry, but I think that's a bit prescriptive.  If I've got a question about chitting potatoes, I don't especially want to scroll through umpity pages of other questions and answers about potatoes in the hope my question might have been asked.  I don't think we should constrain people's freedom to ask the questions in their own way/time.  What we can do is encourage more use of the search function prior to posting a question.  While we all appreciate the time and effort you put in to helping people, no-one, not even you Tee Gee, is obliged to answer ALL the questions they know the answer to!  ;) 

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 20:52:45 »
totally agree with ceres..

les65

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 21:28:11 »
if people only used the search facility before posting, most of the time its already been asked

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 21:47:48 »
when I first came on this site, I didn't even know there was a search facility, I asked many questions and always got a kind reply  :)
thank you to all the people who answered my questions, kept me here  :)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 22:39:06 »
i agree with manics and ceres.
very kind people answered my questions.
and i find the search very hit and miss
plus you know if i just wanted to search i would google but i joined a community

lbb

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 23:19:18 »
I want to reply just not sure wot.
I signed up here over 12mths ago I am still very intimidated  by such experience/knowledge and the "clique"that is inevitable when people have been corresponding for long periods of time, but value it beyond words. I love  receiving a response from such knowledgeable people like Tee Gee and others that have a different perspective on the same question I think of Baccy Man who oozes knowledge, Tim whose posts I always look for and lots of others too numerous to mention but enjoy immensely. I try very hard to search and then ask my "Mundane" questions in the basic section but it's true to say I may get it wrong from time to time for which  I apologise.
I would ask that you continue to bare which those of us less knowledgeable and hope that eventually we can help to pass it on.
From one very grateful member
Susan

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 09:04:52 »
i have to say i argee with Ceres

i am new here and after reading posts like this i makes me feel that i shouldnt ask questions. i think under "the basics" thread it says dont be affaird to ask! ;)
Also if us newbies dont ask questions and post it counts against us in other parts of the site like the swap shop as i understand people wont swap with people who havent posted much.
i always use the search before i post but i dont always find the answers. i value the replys and opinions of others.
also asking questions is what this forum is for, is it not??

Sorry Paula

6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 10:18:21 »
I too agree with Ceres.
It's going to be a sad state of affairs if any one of us are afraid to ask a question on here because it may may have been asked a year ago ..Gardening is a 12 month  cycle,,So the same questions will crop up year after year and so they should.
Also new methods seem to be emerging, so if we stuck to a data base that had been wrote a while ago we wouldn't hear or learn anything about them ...
So I think leave well alone ..
Despite the growing season being a very busy time  I feel sure there is enough knowledge amongst the gardeners on here for us to get our questions answered .

Cheers .. Jim

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:24 »
We were all newbies once, and I remember posting with trepidation hoping the more established members wouldn't make me feel a right fool! ;)

I personally don't mind repeating advice on similar threads, sometimes just a link to a previous question helps or a nudge towards wiki. I would rather do that than feel limited to what questions anyone could ask. There is such a range of cultivation experience available from contributors on this site, no website or book could ever hope to cover it, which is why I have become such an addict! 

I've seen other forums use 'stickies' for popular seasonal subjects such as potatoes, and whilst it helps contain the subject matter to one area, it looks very clunky and takes up a lot of heading room before you get to the 'live' posts. Plus you still get plenty of separate posts on similar subjects by people who don't know the 'forum etiquette'. Judging from the previous discussions we have had about new forum sections in the past year, I'm guessing Dan would be reluctant to make more separate sections to contain threads into specific groupings, which might help avoid some repetition. With the high number of postings per day on this forum now, I think threads have such a short 'high profile' this contributes to the number of similar postings on each subject. Addicts like myself get about 5 pages of new posts per day, if I can't get to a computer for a day of two, pages and pages!

I'm all for chaos myself...... ;D

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 11:15:14 »
I am not sure how such an arrangement can be carried out but I think it is a subject worth a discussion so come on lads & lassies points of view please!...TG

Thanks to all who have replied it is appreciated!

I guess consencus is; we leave things as they are and thats fine by me.

I felt I had to ask the question and as one who rarely asks a question it was quite nice to be on the receiving end for a change.

In truth I really should apologise for asking this particular question!

Yesterday was 'just one of those days' and to see the same question being asked again I'm afraid I blew a fuse and wrote what I wrote!

At least two good things came out of it and they are;

1) The question has been asked, answered and I think agreed upon so that can only be good for A4A

2) I got to ask a question  ;)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:32:04 »
We all need to blow off steam sometimes, Tee Gee!  Feel free to vent, we're here for you  ;)

Seriously, we all value your input but you can only answer what you have time for so don't stress about what you can't.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 14:49:02 »

I got to ask a question  ;)

Feel free to ask TeeGee!! ;) ;)

You couldn't make it up!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 18:50:34 »
I can see where your coming from TG, some questions do get asked over, but I agree 100% with spuds we don't want newbies and others to stop asking questions, we have spoke about some veggies having their own page but have to agree with Deb that at this time of year having a sticky topic for spuds broken down into say:
Types
Chitting
Planting
Earthing up
etc

Well that's my three pennith worth, over to you Dan  :-*   ;D ;D ;D                   
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal