Author Topic: Whitefly :o(.  (Read 1638 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Whitefly :o(.
« on: January 18, 2009, 21:03:32 »
I was hoping that the cold winter would have killed the whitefly on my winter veg. I was wrong >:(

The curly kale, cavolo nero and sprouts are still infested.

What is it going to take to kill them!!!????!!!!!!

Any suggestions for getting the white powdery stuff they leave behind on the veg off easily?

cj :)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: Whitefly :o(.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 16:44:57 »
For what its worth I keep a tub of clean water with a lid on at the lotty..
I dunk all my greens in this, giving em a shake afterwards
You will see the white fly floating on the top of the water after doing this. I keep one of those car washing brushes there too, its got fairly soft bristles. If I see produce with the white stuff the whitefly leave.(Kale seems  to get affected quite bad on the backside of the leaves.) I give it a good scrub under the water during dunking ..This method is also used on most root crops too .
Saves me getting my ear chewed for whitefly buzzing around the kitchen or soil and mud on the worktop or draining board. ;)
WARNING to other guys on lotties. Don't expect to do this on nice days, then come a bad cold icy day you dont fancy dipping the stuff in the tub.Because once you start taking home clean carrots ,leeks ,Parsnips etc .Not doing it cos its cold won't be tolerated  by her indoors..  :D Also saying it looks more "organic dear" don't work ..Well didn't for me
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 16:57:40 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 16:52:50 »
Leave you harvest  for a few hours in a dark place with only a chink of light getting in and the whitefly will move on their own accord!

MaggiePage

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 15:00:07 »
I am into using as many organic or natural products as possible, a few companies have new 'natural' products for treating bugs on edibles. Westland do a natural one, i think its called Bug Killer. Big Clear for Fruit and Veg is also natural.  I'm sure Bayer will also have one.

Hope that helps!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:38:48 »
The problem we have eradicating white fly with the contact sprays (sprays that kill on contact) we have available today is the proximity we have to other allotment holders.
I can spray my brassicas and shift most of the whitefly on them but if tthe guy in the next Lotty  whose brassicas may be only a few yards from mine hasn't done his at the same time his whitely are free to fly or be blown on to mine re-infesting them ..
When we had sprays available  that were systemic (sprays that stayed in the plant for a certain length of time ) and any white fly dropping on it were killed  ) we could keep them  under control..
So maybe hosing them off  with water may be nearly as effective as a contact spray as both are a short term fix. The only other solution seems to be isolate  brassicas from the whitefly by covering them.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:42:46 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal