Author Topic: ruination  (Read 2962 times)

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
ruination
« on: September 01, 2004, 20:45:59 »
I've just dumped 8x25ft rows of Valor maincrop potatoes all ruined by wireworm, last week I salvaged 4 tubers from 30 that I'd dug up for a week's supply, what with the vandals, wireworm, clubroot and carrot fly I've decided to hang up my wellies; I'm convinced the plot was vacant due to the ground being spent and/or diseased, I've since learned after 8 months on the plot that it hadn't been manured for 9 years yet was only vacated 18 months ago.. no wonder I've had problems!
Its heartbreaking to think of the long hours/money I've put into that plot and had so little in return, at least 75% of all I sowed and planted there has ended up being dumped, so now I'll take up a cheaper and easier pastime, watching paint dry!

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:ruination
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 21:18:55 »
I am sorry to hear of your problems, Chas. It is very disheartening when you work so hard for so little return. It happens to us all sometimes. (Not the vandalism though) We cannot grow carrots at all; maincrop pots are a waste of time because of blight, peas germinated and then disappeared, parsnips did not germinate at all, onions are very poor this year and there may be white rot in the soil so we will have to stop altogether, the outdoor toms have blight too and been binned. The asparagus was bitter, the fennel bolted.
But we have had super crops of early and second early spuds, french beans, mange-tout, more fennel, indoor toms, celery, leeks, cauliflowers and cabbages till we look like them. Radishes, spring onions, swedes, all have done well. It is a question of finding out what will grow and adjusting your sights. AND watching paint dry is so inactive.  Again we do sympathise.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:ruination
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 23:04:03 »
Oh Chas, I am so sorry to hear that!   :-[  We have our fair share of lurgies, lost almost all of our spring planted onions and shallots to white rot, spuds have some damage from wire worms, but I am not worrying about that too much, lost all the lottie toms to blight, the broadbeans the birds didn't get the chocolate spot virus did, but I just love being there, however, we don't suffer from the vandalism.....yet.  Is there not another site you could try locally??  Seems such a waste of enthusiasm to stop now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal