Author Topic: Planning......well trying to  (Read 3125 times)

pjb

• Quarter Acre
Planning......well trying to
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:41:49 »
I'm trying to plan my planting for this year and was wondering after you dig up your first and second early potatoes, what would you plant in their place for a second crop?

Thanks.

kevinhalfplot

• Not So New ...
Re: Planning......well trying to
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:54:28 »
Personally I'll be giving the ground a few weeks rest then putting in my brussel sprouts for next Christmas
Warning this site may contain nuts!!
Kevin X

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:05:43 »
After lift my early spuds I trench the ground and put in a layer of compost, and refill. after about a week to let the soil settle I transplant my Leeks onto the site

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 14:54:33 »
I put my first earlies in late Feb (after covering the ground with black plastic, then fleecing), to harvest early/mid June. I follow on with squashes, later courgettes to give me a succession, fennel and some late flowers such as sunflowers. calendulas and zinnieas to give late colour. But that's just me! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 16:52:09 »
we plant squash after our very early potatoes   :)
by the way, Kevinhalfplot..welcome to the site  ;D

kevinhalfplot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 16:56:36 »
Thanks that's kind of you manic, my daughter and her husband want me to try squashes but I've no experience of them and when I looked in my book the other night it said allow 6 feet per plant so with only a small plot I didn't think I had the room, what do you all think?
Kevin X

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 17:01:07 »
you really need Jeannine for this but, we got small climbing squash last year, called Jack be little and baby boo..or there are bush type squash, got one this year called golden nugget..you don't need to grow great huge things, we only grow squash about 1 or 2 kilo

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 17:01:47 »
what would you plant in their place for a second crop?

In my case it is all to do with my 'rotation programme' i.e. do I want long term or short term crops, or do I want to rest it.

In the long term I might plant Japanese onions & Garlic or winter greens.

In the short term fast growing subjects such as salad crops or peas.

Or just rest the bed and let the weather get into it.

So basically I have no 'definite' ruling on the matter.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 18:35:48 »
Leeks and winter onions.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 21:43:04 »
Thanks that's kind of you manic, my daughter and her husband want me to try squashes but I've no experience of them and when I looked in my book the other night it said allow 6 feet per plant so with only a small plot I didn't think I had the room, what do you all think?

If you choose your varieties carefully, and use height to give you more room, you can get away with a lot less space! Here are some of my last years squashes, these were grown in a well manured 8'x4' raised bed, 'Jack be Little' growing up a small wigwam (got about 20 fruits), 'Sugar Pie' grown around the base (about 10 medium fruits), the other wigwams had climbing french beans and outdoor cucumbers which also did brilliantly.There are also some sunflowers and chard planted at the corners, no wasted space!

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 09:05:34 »
Wow DebP,
this is impressive! so many varieties and so many plants in such a small space.
The old men on my site will have a heart attack if they see this, but I really like it.
It looks great and I prefer the look of the different leaf shapes and shades of green together over straight lines of vegetables. Although that has a beauty in itself as well.

kevinhalfplot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 09:45:42 »
Thanks for that  Deb you've got the planning thing down to a fine art. I'll definitiely follow your lead and do some squashes for the kids this year. They make soup with them, were the ones your grew good for soup? Can I ask what you used to keep the critters off it looks good 
Kevin X

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 09:52:10 »
Sugar Pie were about 3-4lbs each, and very good baked or for soup. To keep the slugs at bay I use nematodes watered onto the raised beds once a year in mid April, and use plastic bottle 'collars' around the bases of all vulnerable plants including courgettes and squashes, sunflowers etc. which stay on. I also used the Ferramol based slug pellets every so often, I've tried these the past two years and find them pretty effective without affecting the helpful wildlife.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 11:14:11 »
little ones are good with the top taken off, seeds scooped out, cheese in , top put back on and baked in the oven  ;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 18:28:45 »
I grow Kaboucha Squash which usually require 6 ft but I plant 3 plants together and they just grow in different directions (remember to mark the centre with a cane so you know where to water!) last year i planted the groups of three only 4 ft from the next group and got an ok yield but it wasn't a good year for squash.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 18:52:11 »
I planted my butternut squash at the base of the corn bed which grew up happily skyward  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 19:30:13 »
I forgot to mention I only had a half lottie last season. You can grow more than you think. You just need to carefully use the space..

Over pathways you could make pergolas or arches (3 pieces of 2x4 or scrap wood) to grow things up and over like runner/french beans, outdoor cukes i.e marketmore or squashes). Along boundary fences grow your fruit.
You could always use your shed if you need more upward growing areas.
Fill your compost bin with a bit of well rotted manure topped with soil, plant up with your pumpkin/squash/courgettes (they will love it)
Grow smaller varieties, so you can get more plants in a smaller area.
I don't use baby veg seeds/plants, I just plant them close together and let them get on with it  ;D

Good Luck with your planning.. that's why we have the winter season.. so we can plan and drool over the seed catalogues  ;)
Lauren
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 19:31:48 by Lauren S »
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 00:27:41 »
I planted my butternut squash at the base of the corn bed which grew up happily skyward  ;D
I was going to grow my pumpkins under the sweetcorn but never thought of butternut squaash.  So pleased I read this,  I was going to put aside a seperate bed for my butternut squash,  Harrier F1 (Bush type),  Avalon F1 (Trailing type).  A whole spare bed now for something else..... thinking cap back on..... ;) ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal