Author Topic: Change of plan  (Read 2237 times)

Inky

• Quarter Acre
Change of plan
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:04:37 »
I have cancelled my poly tunnel order!

I ordered it based on the fact that it was going to be the cheapest way to grow undercover. But after reading grow it! the other day I came across an ad for Norfolk Grrenhouses. And they do a 6' x 12' greenhouse for £135! where as my polytunnel was costing £320. so I really cant turn down that much of a saving. It looks easier to construct, wth much the same method of securing by burying the PVC sheeting. But I think it it a stronger covering than the poly stuff.

Anyway here it is, I woneredd of anyone else had them?
http://www.norfolk-greenhouses.co.uk/shop/buy-Greenhouses-Standard.php

They seem to do a lot of cheap stuff, so will also get the greenhouse guttering, plant supports, auto watering and propagator staging kit.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Change of plan
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:40:23 »
Hi Inky and welcome to A4A

I have a Norfolk greenhouse at home. It's sheltered on three sides and south facing. I would not recommend having one in an exposed site...i.e your lottie. They aren't made strong enough to withstand strong winds.

I use mine just as a nursery not a growing house.

If I had the room I would have picked the poly tunnel or a real glass greenhouse.

Good luck what ever you opt for
Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:54:27 »
oh really! it looked much the same as a poly tunnel to me but greenhouse shaped. what is tis that not very strong, the sheeting or the frame itself, as the sheeting can be upgraded for the semi ridged stuff.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:58:20 »
what is tis that not very strong, the sheeting or the frame itself, as the sheeting can be upgraded for the semi ridged stuff.

The entire structure is not as strong as most greenhouses, even with the sheeting upgraded  :'(

You could always look on EBay for a used greenhouse (I did) and bag a bargain which will be much stronger....OR....Ask on Freecycle
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 13:12:48 »
I would recommend freecycle too - its not at all unusual for someone to want rid of a greenhouse for free. You might need to buy a few panes of glass but you would still be saving money.

Another thing to consider is that plastic covers/sheets will eventually go brittle and/or cloudy and you end up with a non-biodegradeable disposal problem. With a bit of luck glass will last a lifetime!
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 19:45:58 »
I dont really want to go the glass route as I have 2 very young children. I dont think normally I would find a greenhouse as big as I want, as I want 10ft plus. I have decided to order it as its so cheap. As this is my first foray into having an allotment I dont want to spend a fortune to start with in case I dont keep it up. If I feel the structure is a little flimsy then I will see about adding additional supports and getting the stiffened plastic panels after the first year or so.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal