Author Topic: Pansies from seed  (Read 1702 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Pansies from seed
« on: January 16, 2009, 14:46:14 »
I know you can buy pansies/violas all year round, but when is the best time to sow them and does anyone have any tips for success? I've tried sowing in spring before without much success, and I do love them but don't want to spend money on plants at the moment.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Pansies from seed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 22:06:46 »
Never tried Caroline, but I'll bump this back onto the front page for you...  ::)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 22:57:28 »
Unless you have heat I would leave them till Mar-Apr.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 23:02:25 »
I've only ever sown them fresh in late summer with high germination rates.  But if you have saved seed then I would wait until early spring.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 20:17:02 »
I haven't got any seeds, but if spring is ok I'll get some!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 20:34:27 »
Pah!  I've I'd have known I could have saved you some.  :(  Might be worth asking on the swap shop? 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 20:53:55 »
Caroline i grew some from seed last year and they were brilliant even if i say so myself, many of them are coming back this year already, i grew them in tubs. Now they were a mixed packet of pansy seeds and were bought from b and q and they have them again this year i saw them earlier (wish id known you wanted them i could have got you some) they were rather expensive though at 38p (their basic range in a white packet) but totally brilliant.
i do have a packet of pansy karma blue butterfly if you would like some i could send you some seeds pm if youre interested.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal