Author Topic: Paraffin  (Read 14443 times)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Re: Paraffin
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 11:13:49 »
Living on the edge of a "depressed" inner city neighbourhood some of the "local" shops still sell it by the Litre...  ;D
Saddad f...f..fetch ya cloth. ;)

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 11:21:38 »
has anyone tried their local heating oil suppliers they usually also do paraffin and sometimes kerosene (but i find that this can be sooty) i pay £2 for 5lts  even cheaper for the kerosene that i use in my sheen flamegun. but bear in mind the prices fluctuate with the cost oil.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 16:18:31 »
Bargain! I just paid £6 in B&Q  :(

Rixy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 00:37:38 »
£2.60 for 5 litres from the allotment shop.  ;D

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 15:08:47 »
My greenhouses are in the garden so we can heat them with elecric fan heaters. I got one for £12.75 two weeks ago and even that has a 'frost' setting on the dial - it only comes on when the temp drops low.

They have the advantage I think of being very dry too - helps in our damp climate to stop the seedlings damping off. Also our 'dual fuel' supplier charges a lot for the gas but not much for the electric - so that helps a bit too.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 09:47:01 »
My greenhouses are in the garden so we can heat them with elecric fan heaters. I got one for £12.75 two weeks ago and even that has a 'frost' setting on the dial - it only comes on when the temp drops low.

They have the advantage I think of being very dry too - helps in our damp climate to stop the seedlings damping off. Also our 'dual fuel' supplier charges a lot for the gas but not much for the electric - so that helps a bit too.

Thats great if you can get power out to the greenhouse. Mine is halfway up the garden, but I still have to make do with parrafin as i just cant get electricity to it. Our conservatory has to double as a makeshift heated greenhouse for anything needing extra warmth and for propagation.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 13:33:33 »
I'm the same - potting shed has paraffin only for keeping pots of things alive over winter, despite only being about 6m from the house. Conservatory is the heated area for my houseplants and seedlings. I pay 90p/litre. Only downside is having to lug the stuff back through town as the hardward shop's at the far end... and 8 litres is heavy!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

staris

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 09:08:34 »
how pray tell?

Where i live on the coast of the north east you can pick coal off the beach by the sack full. If we go down  the basin at   Hartlepool you can fill bags of pure coal dust as if you were shoveling sand.

i'm not far from you we used go picking beach coal off the beach around easington, was all good untill you missed a stone that came wizzing out of the fire like a bullet  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal