Author Topic: wedding flowers  (Read 6369 times)

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
Re: wedding flowers
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 14:18:02 »
If you go with the rosemary and Ivy I have loads and am quite near to you I think (Notts NW?).  Can't guarantee the flowering though will ask him upstairs!!

Don't leave the dress too late - I got married 3 years ago and started looking for mine 6 months out - I was told by a lot of places I was cutting it fine since they have to order them , then there are fittings/alterations etc.  It takes a few months!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 18:25:38 »
To treat tulips the day before CUT THEM A QUARTER OF AN INCH SHORTER THAN NEEDED ON THE DAY, THEN ABOUT HALF AN INCH FROM THE FLOWER HEAD STICK A SHARP PIN IN THEM WRAP IN PAPER  & PUT IN  WATER IN  A VERY COOL PLACE. this will help to make them last & open on the day.
FORGOT TO SAY CUT THE STEMS AT  45 DEGREES.

Why not try some tulips this year to see what you think when you have done this, i have to say pale pink tulips do seem to go over much quicker than any other colour. Sticking the pin in makes them stand up straight for days ;D ;D it would make me stand up straight to :o ;D ;D

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 18:57:39 »
Hi Heres two of my may favorates along side tulips which would be great
try anemones, these flower at an exact point after planting so you can fix the planting date to your wedding and hopefully flowers on time they last very well after being cut.
Then theres the lovely smelling and fabulously old fashinoned sweet william. smell great and you can so them the autumn before so you have big plants all ready for may.

happy days ahead
good luck
sunloving

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 17:20:14 »
Late May.  I'm not sure, but the others on this site will put me right, but I would have thought you would have had time to buy seed and grow sweet peas.  I've grown them for years, but I can't remember exactly when they flower ??? ???

valmarg

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 15:43:32 »
thankyou all once again

I'm going to have a trial run this year and see what I can get to flower at the right time. So far I have got seeds/bulbs for sweet peas, gypsophylla, lily of the valley, nigella, forget me nots and some exotic looking blue poppies which i couldn't resist. Good old Wilkos. 

I think tulips will be over by then so not going to bother with these after all, but may also try anemones and sweet william, plus rosemary, ivy and cow parsley. Roll on May so I can see what I've got to play with!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 22:51:38 »
I have always cut my first sweetpeas in the 3rd week of May these are from seed sown on the 8th October, there are several varieties of narcissi (daffodils) that bloom late and would still be good during the first 2 weeks of May. Our son got married last year in August and wanted sweetpeas so I had a lot of layering to do to keep them flowering from May till August but it worked.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 22:25:45 »
Hi Electic landlady
I looked it up and its 13 -14 weeks from planting to flowers in an ordinary temp regime outside for  de caen anemones.
So if you planted them in jan they should be in flower in may with a bit of tinkering.
I bought a pack of 500 from peter nyssen for about 8 pounds they were brilliant last year. but you can also get single colour packs.

good luck
sunlovingx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal