Author Topic: Chicken feed  (Read 6257 times)

Peasticks

• Half Acre
Re: Chicken feed
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 11:03:42 »
Aubiose is horse bedding so the horsey ship can probably get it for you.

Comes in bales and very compacted so don't order lots as it goes a long way!

Its fab stuff for chicken bedding  ;D

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 11:16:28 »
Pets R US sounds a useful source of feed. Does anybody know anywhere on the A23 corridor that stocks feed?

Jellied

Expect eggs any day we got our first one yesterday.

OC ;D

jellied

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 11:40:54 »
Actually i think it's "Pets at home" - farm yard supplies are also a good bet.

I don't think you need to buy a lot but it's still very early days for us

I think both our hens were not quite at the point-of-lay so we're not expecting anything soon. They're due for their first outside run tomorrow which should be very exciting for everyone.

Good point about the bedding, any idea what it is made from and a reasonable price to pay?

Maybe sheets of paper with shredded onto is a better bet. We;'ll see tomorrow when we do it day light properly this time.

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 13:38:47 »
I think Aubiose is chopped up straw or hemp, its great because it absorbs the damp and smells and is still quite dry and 'fluffy' where as paper will soak up damp but be wet. If you do use shredded paper make it cross cut rather than strips as they can wind around legs.

Aubiose sells for somewhere between £7 and £9 a bale normally

Hemcore is another alternative and is slightly cheaper and coarser

Easibed is another brand name but I dont know which of the two above it is more like

All of these also compost very quickly which is a bonus!

Woodshavings (dust extracted) are good but take longer to compost

I use Aubiose in the nest box and pull out tray and use woodchips and Aubiose mixed for the run

A shower curtain over the Eglu run is a good idea as it will keep everything dryer! Never use Aubiose in an uncovered run as its like a sponge! IKEA do cheap clear shower curtains, I have used a clear tarpaulin from Tarpoflex. Corrugated sheets of clear plastic from Wickes/B&Q also work - attach with some bungees

My run and cover is shown below (you don't need a blanket over your Eglu - I am just paranoid!)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 13:45:29 by Peasticks »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal