Author Topic: Peat-free compost at Wyevale  (Read 7379 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Peat-free compost at Wyevale
« on: January 12, 2009, 14:46:35 »
After comparing prices at Wyevale, B&Q and Wilko, I went back to Wyevale intending to buy New Horizon at 3x60L for £12 but then saw they had Westland Peat-free at 4x60L for £10.
Bit of a risk not knowing what it's like, but for £2.50 a bag it's got to be a bargain and I think Westland have  a good reputation generally.
Plus  I got a couple of free packets of lettuce seeds at the checkout. :D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Peat-free compost at Wyevale
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 17:27:42 »
After comparing prices at Wyevale, B&Q and Wilko, I went back to Wyevale intending to buy New Horizon at 3x60L for £12 but then saw they had Westland Peat-free at 4x60L for £10.
Bit of a risk not knowing what it's like, but for £2.50 a bag it's got to be a bargain and I think Westland have  a good reputation generally.
Plus  I got a couple of free packets of lettuce seeds at the checkout. :D

I've just posted on your other thread Caroline, I think it was the Westland mix I tried last year, and I didn't find it as good as New Horizon. It is getting difficult to source round these parts, the little independent garden centre I used to go to closed down at the end of last year, couldn't compete with the big Wyvales 'superstore' (restaurant, giftshop etc.)....shame!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 18:42:45 »

I think it was the Westland mix I tried last year, and I didn't find it as good as New Horizon.

Oh dear! Mind you, i thought the NH had more "bits" in it last year than in previous years. haven't opened the new stuff yet, will let you know...

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Peat-free compost
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 16:48:47 »
I have decided that it's time I bit the bullet and started using peat-free compost too.  (I simply cannot make enough of my own potting compost so I have to buy in.)  Is the common view that New Horizon is the best make and anyone know any good deals?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 17:08:36 »
Wyevale ususally have good deals on NH (see above). Haqving started using the Westland stuff,it is quite woody, but I've sieved it and mixed with perlite and my seeds have grown fine so far.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 17:13:51 »
Thanks Caroline.  I was far from impressed last time I bought Westland multi-purpose (like you say, seemed to be full of wood or something) so I won't give them my business, I'm afraid. 

I'm curious to know why you have added perlite.  Does peat-free tend not to drain well?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 17:15:43 »
Think Monty Don does it! ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 17:18:00 »
Think Monty Don does it! ;D

LOL!  That's good enough for me.   ;D

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal