Author Topic: Using canal barges as allotments  (Read 1558 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Using canal barges as allotments
« on: February 19, 2009, 14:25:25 »
Interesting initiative here http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_release.jsp?releaseid=21038

"British Waterways is working with Capital Growth experts to identify a range of suitable spaces for growing food, including land alongside canals and turning retired workboats into floating vegetable plots."

I quite like the idea of a lottie on a boat.  I suspect the problem may be that many London waterways are rather shaded places, so the range of veggies may be limited.

And vandalism may be a problem, too.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Using canal barges as allotments
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 16:35:08 »
When we had a canal boat for a few days last year on the oxford canal, we saw quite a few boats with gardens on their roofs, but I guess they were mostly being lived in permanently.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 16:49:08 »
There will be a lot of problems with this !!!
The barges have to come out of the water every 4 years to be inspected and repaired and given a licence.
There is also the mooring fees which are between  £1.500 and £4,000 a year !!
We are looking into living on a widebeam and there is a big shortage of moorings.
It would be far better to provide more allotments on land for people.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 16:55:27 »
Mate of mine just bought a barge for his retirement - cost best part of a hundred grand ( ok it is big, and has a classic engine in it & is mint) land must be cheaper?
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 18:30:00 »
we have many farms near us where the owner has died and the next of kin are just letting the buildings rot, why can't they allow people to grow veggies, etc on this land, even if it's on a shortish lease, say 10 years, it would mean the land was being used  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal