Author Topic: poisoning Rats  (Read 2569 times)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
poisoning Rats
« on: January 04, 2009, 17:44:50 »
 :( I found another dead big brown rat on my plot today, it turns out plot holders with chickens are putting poison down,

I don't want dead rats on my plot, I am totally organic. I don't know what to do with them,

Could another animal die because it ate a poisoned rat ?

I would appreciate any advise/ shades x
grow your own way

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: poisoning Rats
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 21:31:59 »
why not return it to one of the folk who poisoned it? ;)
You couldn't make it up!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 21:56:47 »
Agree with Tonybloke, dump it on their doorstep. Poor ratty! Modern poisons are allegedly harmless to cats and dogs, but I wouldnt count on it. Some 'organic' methods of rat control are quite hideous though..

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:51:18 »
thanks for your replies :-\

don't know who to return it to , could be anyone with chickens, I just know I don't agree with poisoning animals, I don't kill anything,I quite like brown rats ,just not dead and eventually full of maggots on my plot >:(/ shades x
grow your own way

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 11:35:28 »
We find them on our site from time to time - our stables regularly put poison down. I checked with them last year - no it doesn't stay toxic, and the best way to deal with the rat is to bury it in the compost heap (add some lime to help speed things up).

One of our plot-holders used to work in pest control and she reckons there are so many rats around the average allotment that poison simply isn't cost-effective. She recommends basic hygiene plus regular turning of compost heaps, because they don't like being disturbed.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:18:29 »
 ;D thanks for your advise Trevor, much appreciated/ shades x
grow your own way

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 14:09:59 »
We have the Council rat man round periodically; we're expecting a visit any time. He always leaves a big bucket of poison in the shed. If I dont keep putting it down, I tend to get overwhelmed with the bastard things. A beehive that's had a rat in it isn't a pretty sight!

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 21:13:40 »
Perhaps when they have stripped around 60 cobs of your best sweetcorn, you may feel differently about getting rid of them, i know i did.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 22:28:05 »
Perhaps when they have stripped around 60 cobs of your best sweetcorn, you may feel differently about getting rid of them, i know i did.
where were you letting them live?
You couldn't make it up!

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 11:21:20 »
thanks for your replies :-\

don't know who to return it to , could be anyone with chickens, I just know I don't agree with poisoning animals, I don't kill anything,I quite like brown rats ,just not dead and eventually full of maggots on my plot >:(/ shades x
maggots this time of year mmmmmm i smell a rat ;D you cant blame rat problems juts on people who have chickens what about bird tables etc and not all poultry keepers use poison as the risk is to high if the hens eat it , you cant say for sure that the rat ate poison don't start a crusade against people with poultry on your site just live with it one dead rat is nothing to get excited over
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 15:54:17 »
The best rat is a dead rat, they are on par with slugs, barstards,  >:( I hate the dirty verminous corn eating plague carrying scumbags.  >:( >:( >:(           ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 19:28:53 »
steady on Kev, you'll burst a vessel!! ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 20:48:44 »
All you need to deal with rats is a very good eye and a powerful air rifle. Put down some bait and wait for them, it doesn't affect anything else and with practice they won't run very far after they're hit.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Bubbly Berry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 21:04:02 »
me not like rats either angel, dead or alive.
but found rats livin under me shed had to take action so put down a humane trap, caught a huge monster of a rat, got me dad to shoot it wiv his air rifle, i wasnt happy but its rats. cant hav the lickle fellows livin under me shed, ive taken action and im currently in the process of diging around my shed and putting mesh wire 2ft deep and ive bent it outwards a foot so they cant dig under the wire, im hopin this will stop em getting under me shed.
Im not naming n shame-ing but theres quite a few at our lottie puttin down poison. The chickens are the attraction im afraid.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 08:27:13 »
 ;D oh this opened up a whole can of worms didn't it ;D,

BB you don't have to name and shame, our fellow lottie chicken holders are quite open and cheerful about the rat poison they are putting down!!!!

Shaun, I'm not starting a crusade, worse things are happening in Gaza, and I have alot more than one dead rat on my plot,and  yes you can get maggot infested rats at this time of the year

if you read the original post you will see I was concerned another animal would eat the rats and die and how best to dispose of the dead rats

kev ;D ;D/ shades x
grow your own way

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 11:24:41 »
Unfortunately on allotments we can't afford a live and let live policy where rats are concerned. If we did we would harvest next to nothing.. You can shoot them, trap them, but unfortunately the only way to get rid of them in any numbers is poison. which can be placed out of the way in bait boxes that only the rats and  mice will feed on.

Cheers .. Jim

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 11:42:31 »
Rat numbers have gone through the roof since the water companies were privatised. Blame the government.

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 19:08:02 »
The best rat is a dead rat, they are on par with slugs, barstards,  >:( I hate the dirty verminous corn eating plague carrying scumbags.  >:( >:( >:(           ;D ;D ;D
;D lmfao  ;D
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal