Author Topic: Website.  (Read 4835 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Website.
« on: November 30, 2008, 15:34:23 »
I was wondering if anyone knows of any good, free website building programs.

I dont like to just get one from a search engine, incase it has a virus or something.

Any recomendations, or am I better off paying for one?

cj :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Website.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 15:40:38 »
Depends what you want it for
The Tuscan Beaneater

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 15:45:46 »
Was thinking of putting recipes, advice etc for vegetarian and vegan cookery.

In the future, possibly a forum

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 16:02:06 »
My daughter, OH and granddaughter are all veggies.  So go for it, we will certainly read it.  So many people think you have to eat meat to be healthy and they are used to a lot of criticism about bringing up veggie children.  I think you are on to a winner there.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 17:18:58 »
Although we have a purpose built web site that we pay for, our terrier group use Flickr for their forum. You can use it in all sorts of ways and it works well for us. That's free unless really heavily used, and easy to set up.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 17:20:59 »
If you have Micro$oft Office you will already have Front Page or Front Page Express although they may need installing from the disk. While much maligned in the past it should do what you require.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 19:59:57 »
theres loads out there tho some take some getting used - however I would avoid frontpage as it users extensions that

1 - must be installed on the webserver
2 - are browser specific ie behave differently in IE compared to grown up browsers like Firefox

Its as old as the hills but if you can find the free Netscape composer it will do everything you probably want easily.

Also avoid using save as from normal apps.

Can I ask how many recipeis you are thinking off adding because if its a lot you may be better with someon writing a small website for you that has a back end database. Then you only have to update the DB rather than dabble in websites (I come very, very cheap especially near to Xmas when the kids are costing me a fortune! )

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 21:32:03 »
(I come very, very cheap especially near to Xmas when the kids are costing me a fortune! )

Me too.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 21:40:17 »
Try Bravenet.  They host my guestbook and I used to have a forum hosted by them too.  There's a free version and a paid version.  Don't know what they're web site offers are like as I get mine from a friend but everything else is good on there.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 22:41:02 »

I dont like to just get one from a search engine, incase it has a virus or something.

I use Kompozerhttp://www.kompozer.net/
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

bluebedouin

• Quarter Acre
    • The Friendliest Auction Site On Earth !
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 00:01:42 »

Try Bravenet.  They host my guestbook and I used to have a forum hosted by them too.  There's a free version and a paid version.  Don't know what they're web site offers are like as I get mine from a friend but everything else is good on there.

I have just started to use Bravenet myself,initially to be able to post an eBid users map.It also comes in handy for posting pics etc for The Bedford CF owners club.
If you take a look at my little effort,scroll down to the bottom of the page & click on Web Hosting,you can then go to their start page & sign up yourself. :)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 12:42:17 »

Notepad. You already have it if you run windows.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 13:05:10 »
I think CJ wanted something along the lines of a visual drag and drop program that does not require any coding skills. Purists design a site then write the code to make it happen but this is no use to the casual site builder.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 15:30:11 »
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

I'll check them all out to see which suits me best.

Thanks again.

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 15:37:39 »
I think CJ wanted something along the lines of a visual drag and drop program that does not require any coding skills. Purists design a site then write the code to make it happen but this is no use to the casual site builder.

Most html editors are like a word-processor or publishing program. If you have learnt how to use a word-processor fully you would have no problem, in fact, you can  actually do your web pages in Open Office, save as HTML and all the coding is done for you.

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 19:51:16 »
Try synthasite a very easy free site to build uploading photos etc.just type in the name and it will come up.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 20:18:36 »
I have had no computer training, and had several false starts on different WYSIWIG (what you see is what you get) web builder programs.
Then I discovered Serif Web Plus and the rest is history!!! I even now advertise it on my 150 pp site. Have a look at my web site below to see what it is possible to build by a complete amateur using WebPlus 10. It comes with good documentation and there is a very active serif users forum to help you if you get stuck.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 07:30:19 »
Owing to having some problems with KompoZer on a 64bit laptop, I have now changed to the Mozilla suite "SeaMonkey" which includes "Composer" works the same as KompoZer but without the 64bit problem.

I also use "Jalbum" for slideshows on the websites.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal