Author Topic: Flavoured marmalade  (Read 2122 times)

davee52uk

• Acre
Flavoured marmalade
« on: January 11, 2009, 19:51:50 »
I made a load of marmalade last night from seville oranges. Result was O.K. I would like to make marmalade with whisky or rum flavouring. I don't want to use whisky essence/flavour as I've no idea where to get it - you buy real whisky everywhere.

How do you flavour the marmalade? Do you mix it in at the end just before bottling. I have previously used whisky to top up jars of jam to flavour them but this was not entirley succesful.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Flavoured marmalade
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 19:59:33 »
I've just googled it, lots of recipes. The BBc one adds 3tbs of whiskey at the end before bottling.
Janet.

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 20:03:03 »
i,ve always put my booze in when ready to bottle , usually add contreau of grand marnier as not keen on whiskey  ;D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 22:38:52 »
I add a couple of teaspoons (or a tablespoon depending on how strong you want it) just before putting the marmalade in the jars. I make carribean marmalde with rum, Scottish with whisky,  sloe gin flavoured and french marmalade with brandy.  Delicious.  :P

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 22:54:35 »
Same here really. I put the marmalade in the jars first, then add 15ml (about 1 tablespoon) of whisky per half pound jar. Screw the lid on, then shake while still hot to distribute it. One thing to bear in mind if you add this much, it's best to make the marmalade a bit thicker than normal so that it still sets fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal