Author Topic: anyone using compost to heat a greenhouse  (Read 6118 times)

Al37

• Half Acre
anyone using compost to heat a greenhouse
« on: January 08, 2009, 23:29:30 »
Many years ago I saw an old Victorian greenhouse with brick built compartments along the sides I was told these would have been filled with manure as a source of heat.
While I am still in the planning stage of my greenhouse I would like to do something similar.
I have an endless supply of manure so no probs there.
Just after a bit of advise if anyone has done it  :)

betula

• Hectare
Re: anyone using compost to heat a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 23:34:50 »
Are you thinking of the old method they used to grow pineapples,they used to have garden boys to stay up all night on fire watch. :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 23:37:32 »
They use(d) this method at Helligan for their pineapple and melon houses.

This link might be of use to you

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/compostheatedgh.html
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Al37

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 23:50:23 »
Thanks Lauren that link is interesting I did google the idea but would have liked a viewpoint from someone who has used it.
I asked my mother in law if she remembered any similar systems but she told me they used an old steam engine to heat the greenhouses where she worked as a youngster :o
Betula,
Wasn't aware of the pineapple system but I do have a 17yr old step son who might just be on fire watch next time he steps out of line ;)
I think perhaps I was born too late, the more I read about the Victorians the more I would like to have been one ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 00:00:54 »
Not much fun if you were poor though A137 ;D

I love the equipment they used,and their glasshouses were a dream :)

Have you watched the Victorian kitchen garden,?great series :)

Al37

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 00:20:33 »
Don't think so, there was a program on tonight it was a Victorian farm where they Had to renovate the farmhouse and basically start everything from scratch. didn't get to see much of it as I was busy with other stuff but my good lady tells me I would have enjoyed it >:(
as for being poor in Victorian times I would rather that than be on the streets in this day and age.
Oh and by the way please call me Al short for Allan, Went though many connotations of my name when I was registering ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 00:32:34 »
Victorian kitchen garden can be seen from time to time on UK TV gardening.

It is quite an old series and covers how the gardening year went in the kitchen garden,lovely viewing and has been mentioned on the site quite a few times.

Of course in those days the wonderful gardens had an army of workers.All that stopped with the war. :(

Nice to meet you Al :)

Al37

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 00:38:27 »
Thanks betula I will watch out for that, it is also nice to meet you.
I have been a member of a few forums (mainly car or motorcycle related) but this has to be the friendliest yet so chances are I will be around here for a while because as far as my lottie is concerned I m in it for the long haul :D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 01:14:23 »
It is my belief that the Victorian gardeners only topped up their heat with manure and must have had a daily ritual of bringing in fresh, removing old and generally forking it over apart from having an unbelievable amount of it. I tried it in the polytunnel last year using 3 cu metres of fresh horse manure and after only one or two nights there was no noticable temperature difference except right inside the heaps.

The brick walls of the Vicci glasshouses may have been a bigger heat sink than the manure they used.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 08:49:16 »
welcome to the site, Al.   ;)
You couldn't make it up!

ManicComposter

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 19:38:16 »
I have seen this done for Melons but in this case the manure was dug into the ground underneath the cold frame that the melons were in. From what I saw the ground was substantially warmer.

Like has already been said in this thread it is possible that the bricks of the greenhouse acted as a giant heatsink.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 03:17:30 »
My limited experience was last winter (March?) I put manure in a hole, covered with some soil and then moved my toms onto the pile, some in pots, some planted directly with plans to let them mature in place, then constructed  short walls of pipes (from a broken cheap plastic greenhouse) and bubble wrapped them. Placed  old storm windows on top, one with an automatic vent. It seemed to work but I never got around to testing the ground temp. Had the best toms ever and earliest but it was also a good year for them.  I hope your test goes well and is more scientifically documented than mine was.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal