Author Topic: Spent the whole day in Broomfield hospital!  (Read 7263 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Spent the whole day in Broomfield hospital!
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 14:54:16 »
Poor you EJ.  Oooh!! That sounds so painful. Hope the swelling keeps down and your body can get rid of it naturally. My son had a foreign body in his finger which they decided to wait to get at, and eventually it did move up so they could remove it without too much trouble.  It did take a while however, but the op was simpler in the long run. Just depends on how much of a problem it becomes.  Take care and much sympathy. love busy_lizzie   :-*
live your days not count your years

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 15:37:42 »
hope it's feeling a little better today, either that or you're anaesthetised from the sloe gin
 ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 16:22:45 »
Ouch sorry to hear this EJ hope it gets better soon.  :'(          ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 16:28:09 »
Have only just seen your post EJ. Bet that hurt like mad. I know how much Pyracantha hurts and the thorns on Sloe are much bigger than that. I do hope it gets better soon for you.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 16:47:44 »
Thanks folks.  The swelling has started to go down and the bruising has come out.  It is incredibly stiff and tender still.  I still can't move the top of my finger at the last joint, and the doc fears that might be the damage.

Tetanus done yesterday Ace, that mixed with Diptheria and polio so I am covered for all eventualities now!

I will try hard not to have surgery, especially as I am such a chicken, just got to keep exercising the finger and hopefully nature will takes it's course and my finger will start to recover.  The anitbiotics will hopefully sort out any infection.  Can't straighten my finger at all now.   :'( :'( :'(

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 16:58:51 »
Hope it heals soon EJ.
At least you have gone to a decent hospital, i've been there plenty of times and very happy with the way i have been treated.

Neil

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 17:08:13 »
YEOUCH!  Poor you, hope it feels better soon.  :-* :-*

OH had a Hawthorne thorn in his thumb, finally got it out, but every spring his thumb itches!! weird!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 22:09:42 »
oh EJ, how terrible - hope you have a speedy and fully recovery.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 22:40:07 »
I feel all queasy now  :-X

No, seriously, hope you recover soon and that it does not result in a further trip to the hospital x

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 23:08:49 »
My son fell over outside when playing in a water gun game- he came in crying saying he thought a thorn had gone into his hand- I dug about where he thought it went in with a sterile needle could not find or see anything. We forgot about it.Then about 5-6 months later his index finger kept swelling up and painful going blue/black at night but went back down in the day. I took him to the doctors I did remember about the potentional splinter but was not sure it was relevant- they thought he had  a rheumatoid type condition, he had bloods taken etc. Then one morning in the early hours he was screaming with pain in the finger so I took him up to Broomfield Hospital A and E. We were seen straight away- he had an x-ray that did not show anything. We were then refered to the fracture clinic. After a long wait we were seen by 2-3 doctors who had great discussions and decided to admit him-( bearing in mind I did keep telling them about the possible splinter)for IV antibiotics. After about 3 days they eventually scanned the finger and found a large splinter- I knew what it was-pyracantha. It had travelled from his hand into his finger. They decided to operate- but this took another 2 days because of other more serious cases. My son has never forgiven me for not doing something originally, but the splinter must have gone in very deeply as I went quite deep with the needle originally. This occured 2 years ago just before christmas and he was unable to play his clarinette solo in the school concert. Pyracantha although pretty with its berrie it can cause some problems- we have had numerous punctures from this.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I hope the slinters come out of there own accord or move to a more suitable place for them to be removed             

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 00:32:06 »
right chain metal and teflon gloves needed if i ever go need the garden again :(

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 11:37:56 »
Didn't look in here earlier because I HATE hospitals. Not the thing to happen to a working Girl!

Reminds me of the day I pinned my foot to the ground with the fork. But that came out easily!!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 23:15:42 »
 :-\ Yee-ouch hun!

Wishing you a speedy recovery ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 23:31:33 »
Thanks all, recovering slowely but surely.  The fingeraches and is stiff now really, but if anyone touches my sore knuckle...they will be leaving with a black eye!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 23:52:15 »
Reminds me too of taking my stepson to hospital with a crochet hook hooked into the palm of his hand  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
The Tuscan Beaneater

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 00:46:11 »
Thanks all, recovering slowely but surely.  The fingeraches and is stiff now really, but if anyone touches my sore knuckle...they will be leaving with a black eye!
  :o  ;D ;D ;D
glad you on the mend!! (and able to give black eyes) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 14:49:21 »
Hope it gets easier each day Emma.

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 19:04:03 »
Ouch!

Bizarre - I saw the thread title this morning but didn't read. Went to lottie today & did pretty much the same thing. Sounds like I was lucky mine was just a bramble thorn & we did manage to prise it out! It went through the *only* bit of my gloves that is fabric (back of the fingers) & into the middle joint of my middle finger  - presumably hitting a nerve or something cos my whole finger was aching. I have a stiff / sore joint now but blimey, it sounds like it could have been so much worse!

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery!
x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal