Author Topic: Fam History puzzle  (Read 1957 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Fam History puzzle
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:36:23 »
As a child my mother grew up next door to another young girl who later became our 'Aunty B'.
 This girl was born out of wedlock in 1922 and not knowing her father has always been something that bothered her. Even after all these years she keeps on about it...rightly so.
 I've done a bit of searching and it turns out that her father did actually pay maintenance for her for a few years. This was done through a firm of solicitors.
 So far as I can tell, that firm is long gone.
 The question is, does anyone know of a way to find and have released that information? Aunt B is knocking a bit and it's something I would love to do for her before it's too late.
 I've tried all the usual routes and she does have a birth cert without the father's name of course. ANy help would be appreciated as soon as poss.
 Thanks. Ken.

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Fam History puzzle
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:06:56 »
Wow, why did she leave it so long before trying to find out who he was?  Does she have any cousins still living as they could be a source of information?  It's surprising what cousins get to hear that sisters and brothers are kept in the dark about.

I don't know whether any school records would have shown her father.

It is unlikely that the solicitors would have folded up completely, they would probably have sold the business and there would have been a change of name.  Records would probably have transferred in the process so they may be sitting in another solicitor's office.

Good luck with this one Ken.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 11:23:56 »
Thanks P. She was an only child without relatives. All past records don't mention the father.
 She left it so long as even just 10 years ago getting these sort of records was near impossible.
 On line sites have helped me trace back my family quite a way, but the sort of info I'm trying to get doesn't show on an on-line search.
 The freedom of info act does mean she's entitled to the info but it's finding where it is........ ???

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 11:53:32 »
Kenkew,

Oh that is so sad, bless her.

I have been helping a lady who found me through Genes Reunited whose father left home when she was 4 and was never seen again and was able to tell her about a huge family she has, that is the sort of thing you need too isn't it.  It is perhaps worth, with her permission putting her and the further back family members you know of on Genes Reunited and if you are lucky someone may get in touch, and might have known family secrets.

Another website that is similar to here but for Genealogy is;

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

Rootschat is divided into counties and you can put a post on Aunt B's county giving the information you have, say her mother or Grandmother's name and someone may be able to help as they would have local knowledge, or if you are really lucky, be researching her tree.  Finding another branch might bring forth cousins perhaps who know who her father was.  It was a bit of a long time ago though.

The early 1920s was a difficult time as after the carnage of WW1 there were a lot more young women than men which made life and relationships very difficult then.  I am sure some men must have taken advantage of it??

Did her mother ever marry?  Could she have been adopted (it only started legally about 1927) if so there would be adoption papers.  I am clutching at sraws here really but feel for her and wish I could help.

I will keep thinking during the day, others may be able to help more, there are a few people who have been researching family trees on here.

Good luck.

T.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 12:03:33 »
Ken,

Have you looked in the parish register?  Even if the father didn't appear on the birth certificate some parish clerks dissaproved so much they might write notes in the register.  This was generally longer ago than the 1920s I think.  I have a great grandmother who was in this situation and her name and 'illegitimate' were written in much bigger letters in the register as were others in the same situation for all to see, just to highlight the poor mother's 'sins'.

Just a thought.

T.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 12:31:42 »
Ken,

Could her mother's family have disowned her and so Aunt B may have relatives but is not aware of them?  If we can't find her a father could we see if we can find her any family? I am busy making soup and tidying up and this is giving me something to think about while I am working!  Sorry!

T.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 13:53:23 »
I agree with tullipa, the Parish register for the village/town she was born in may have an entry of the birth along with the fathers name.  Its a bit late for the Church to have reprimanded the mother but  Parish Clerk or Vicar may have written it down.  Good luck Ken.  Obviously your Mother didn't know the man.  Older relatives always seemed to know who did the deed but never spoke about it!! 

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 14:05:29 »
Does she have an interesting middle name - my great grandmother had two children by different fathers, and gave each child their father's surname as a middle name!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 16:20:47 »
Kenkew,

Oh that is so sad, bless her.

I have been helping a lady who found me through Genes Reunited whose father left home when she was 4 and was never seen again and was able to tell her about a huge family she has, that is the sort of thing you need too isn't it.  It is perhaps worth, with her permission putting her and the further back family members you know of on Genes Reunited and if you are lucky someone may get in touch, and might have known family secrets.

Another website that is similar to here but for Genealogy is;

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

Rootschat is divided into counties and you can put a post on Aunt B's county giving the information you have, say her mother or Grandmother's name and someone may be able to help as they would have local knowledge, or if you are really lucky, be researching her tree.  Finding another branch might bring forth cousins perhaps who know who her father was.  It was a bit of a long time ago though.

The early 1920s was a difficult time as after the carnage of WW1 there were a lot more young women than men which made life and relationships very difficult then.  I am sure some men must have taken advantage of it??

Did her mother ever marry?  Could she have been adopted (it only started legally about 1927) if so there would be adoption papers.  I am clutching at sraws here really but feel for her and wish I could help.

I will keep thinking during the day, others may be able to help more, there are a few people who have been researching family trees on here.

Good luck.

T.

Thanks, T. I've had a look. Worth a try. Thanks.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 16:22:01 »
I agree with tullipa, the Parish register for the village/town she was born in may have an entry of the birth along with the fathers name.  Its a bit late for the Church to have reprimanded the mother but  Parish Clerk or Vicar may have written it down.  Good luck Ken.  Obviously your Mother didn't know the man.  Older relatives always seemed to know who did the deed but never spoke about it!! 

Seems nothing was mentioned in there, Carol. Still hopeful tho.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 16:23:32 »
Does she have an interesting middle name - my great grandmother had two children by different fathers, and gave each child their father's surname as a middle name!

No middle name, Tin's. (Although I now have a possible father surname. Still need to prove the connection, tho.)
Thanks, Ken.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 17:35:10 »
Hi Ken,

Proving the connection could be hard.  Going back to your mention of solicitors, would something like the Law Society be able to help you, or the local Records Office for the area if they know where the records could have gone from the Solicitors.

The only other things I have thought of is checking the local directories which are online until about 1914 for some areas:

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/b1.asp

or the electoral roll which would be in the local record office.

If the father had been in the army he might have a medal card in the National Archives.

All of  these are all ways of just finding a little about the man but I am not sure they will give you any clues. 

Or just contacting the local records office - you never know what they might have on him.  They usually have a searchable database online too.  Or contact a local Family History Society to see if they have any information about the man, so many of them went to war that he might be on a Roll of Honour somewhere.

Just any snippet of information about him might give you a clue as to if he could have been in the right place at the right time so to speak, or even rule him out.

I am not sure any of this helps but just thought it is worth mentioning, although it sounds as though you have already done a fair bit of searching.

Good luck

T.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 16:22:59 »
Had a look at that one Tulipa. Looks good. Also getting ideas from others. The past is looking futuristic. Thanks....... :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal