Author Topic: GIVING THEM AWAY?  (Read 5601 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: GIVING THEM AWAY?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 18:16:59 »
I must say that I have sent seeds and plants to folks and have had seeds from a couple of others on here. I have yet to find anyone that didn't at least thank me. When I have sent plants I have also had the postage returned to me. Perhaps I have been fortunate so far.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 18:36:16 »
If your going to put yourself out Tin do us a couple of pound of Rocket as well.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 23:37:42 »
I thought I always thanked people who sent me seeds but please accept my apologies if I have missed anyone out.  What happens to the seed swap parcels, do they go missing or what?

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 23:52:22 »
Always had a "thank you" too from everyone here, if i don't hear within a few days I send a pm to ask if they've got there, which usually results in an apologetic "Ooops, sorry yes got them" mostly.

Linda

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 23:24:59 »
I'll hijack the allotment seed potato delivery on Saturday, if you are that desperate, Corneykev ;D

Thats not fair...!! I want some too.................................pretty please ;D ;D

Lindsay......If I remember rightly it was you who sent me some Pyracantha seedlings? They are doing very well, only lost 2, so 5 good sturdy plants growing away ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 00:02:06 »
The reason I don't join in the seed parcels is we have a lot of post going missing in our area.  I'd be mortified if the parcel went missing.  I've had more rows at our sorting office about plants not delivered, left over the weekend in the hot sorting office.  Parcels and post tampered with.  We're for ever getting other peoples post. There's no excuse as my oh works nights and is always home in the day.  Same with out going post. If its really important I always post it regersted.
But I do look in most days to see the great advice given and the veriuse posts.
Some of the funnier ones have been very timely and given me something to smile at.  So thank you all for making my life a brighter one.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 09:03:35 »
last year I sent out 9 lots of 6 strawberry runners and, I think, I was thanked for them all  ;D

Brown97

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 10:03:21 »
i even remember someone asking for seeds and when they were told it was not a full packet told the sender not to bother as they were of no use to them at all  :o :o.

Debster, would it be wrong to name and shame them, or report them to the moderator?? What's the correct etiquette? Perhaps a BLACKLIST!! Haha.

I hope to become on of the trusted ones   :)

Nathan

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 10:48:29 »
I don't think it's anything to get het up about. Either you get thanked or the receiver forgets or doesn't bother to acknowledge. If you're worried a quick pm to say "did it arrive?" will usually confirm.

This thread will serve as a reminder to those who forget!!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
The Tuscan Beaneater

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 11:24:38 »
If I understood betula correctly, the thread wasn't about people not saying thanks when they receive seeds (although as asbean says, a reminder doesn't go amiss!).  It was about people whose only purpose in joining appears to be to 'beg' for seeds, they don't post anything else other than requests, kind souls respond, and you never see them again.

The seed sharing on here is so successful, I think, because of the feeling of 'community' there is on the forum and the trust it creates.

Besides, if someone is setting up an allotment, seeds are the least thing you would be worrying about from a cost point of view.  I know most people on here are addicts with no self-control  ;) but if money's tight, for a fiver from Netto, you could get all the basics you need and still have change.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 14:14:54 »
I agreee there, the thread did drift somewhat, but of the people I sent seeds to the ones who didn't acknowledge them were the newbies who haven't been seen since. Perhaps it goes with the territory.  Now I only send them to people who have been posting regularly and are well established.

I wouldn't like a seed swap to disappear because an opportunist has made off with the package.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Brown97

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 16:54:57 »
I agreee there, the thread did drift somewhat, but of the people I sent seeds to the ones who didn't acknowledge them were the newbies who haven't been seen since. Perhaps it goes with the territory.  Now I only send them to people who have been posting regularly and are well established.

Asbean,
Do you know how to move up the ranks from a Newbie? I assume it has something to do with number of posts...posted and time spent on the forum. Thanks for any help and advice.
Nathan (a Newbie in progress)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 17:54:24 »
Hi Brown 97, welcome to A4A!!

The people we are referring to are those who join the forum with the sole intent of blagging free seeds, which they sometimes sell on.  They don't enter into any discussions about plants or anything else, they just post on the swap board and then when they've got what they want they don't post or visit again.  Enthuiastic newbies who discuss their plans in their first posts and ask questions (like you  :) :) ) are not in the same category!

You move up the ranks (so to speak) by the number of posts, from newbie, not so new, quarter acre, half acre, acre, hectare.  (There are so many hectares on this forum it shows how addictive it can become lol and some people have spent WEEKS on here).  But some people post more than others, some people just visit and read the posts.

But you've probably twigged by now - seed collecting is VERY addictive, and you can end up spending a fortune - wait till T&M sell them at half price, or if you have a Wyevale near you they sell them at the end of the summer at 50p a packet - bargain!!!  And there's Wilkinsons, Lidl and loads of other shops that have them cheap.  Then you can buy twice as many for the same price!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

The Tuscan Beaneater

Brown97

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 22:15:09 »
The people we are referring to are those who join the forum with the sole intent of blagging free seeds, which they sometimes sell on.  They don't enter into any discussions about plants or anything else, they just post on the swap board and then when they've got what they want they don't post or visit again.  Enthuiastic newbies who discuss their plans in their first posts and ask questions (like you  :) :) ) are not in the same category!

But you've probably twigged by now - seed collecting is VERY addictive, and you can end up spending a fortune - wait till T&M sell them at half price, or if you have a Wyevale near you they sell them at the end of the summer at 50p a packet - bargain!!!  And there's Wilkinsons, Lidl and loads of other shops that have them cheap.  Then you can buy twice as many for the same price!

Whew!! Thanks for clearing that all up!!  ;D ;D
I do really enjoy this site and hope that I can contribute as much as I learn. I've found www.youtube.com and www.gardenersworld.com to be a great source of knowledge and would count A4A to be right there among them!!
Now all I need to do is get that ever elusive plot near where I live!!
Thanks again Asbean, hope to make a successful swap with you in the future (Full of gratitude and thankfulness too!!  ;D).

Nathan

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 08:27:14 »
I must admit that i joined so that i could send a pm to Jeanine when she was offering her seeds (about 5 pages full) because of moving. I did say to her that i was new and once everyone had their pick of their favourites and if she had a few left over, would i be able to have some. She sent me about 40 different seeds :o and would not except anything for them or postage.

Hopefully i've made up for the reason for joining and will continue to post.

When i was an administrator for a forum, i had it set that you had to post at least 25 full posts ( not single words like ok) before you could enter the for sale/wanted section as we had problems with people joining only to advertise stuff for sale.

Maybe it could be set up here for the swapshop?

Neil

Bobitybob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 21:04:08 »
Looks like I'm going to be a newbie for about 5 years as I just love to read just about all the posts 2 or 3 times a week.I am resisting the seed buying at the moment( I only have 15 different varieties ) and I haven't counted them all yet!!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 21:26:56 »
Welcome to the site Bobitybob... it's very contagious that seed collecting you know!  :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 21:38:08 »
Brown 97 i dont need to name and shame them they said it in an open thread that not to bother cos it wasnt a full packet :o

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 22:13:02 »
hiya, bobitybob, nice to meet you  ;D

Brown97

• Not So New ...
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2009, 22:15:10 »
Brown 97 i dont need to name and shame them they said it in an open thread that not to bother cos it wasnt a full packet :o

It's very humble of you  :) :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal