Author Topic: GIVING THEM AWAY?  (Read 5600 times)

betula

• Hectare
GIVING THEM AWAY?
« on: January 07, 2009, 11:36:19 »
While I have been happy to send seeds to people on this forum who are setting up projects I have also sent seeds to people who have asked for seeds and never been heard of again.

Charity apart,I would not send out seeds to anyone who had not been a regular poster for some time.

I have even heard stories of people who sell them on. :(

Your thoughts?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: GIVING THEM AWAY?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:48:47 »
I agree betula.  It's one thing coming here, making yourself known, joining in, offering and receiving seeds and getting involved in swaps.  But it's quite a different matter if the only reason for being here is to blag seeds and I wouldn't send seeds under those circumstances either.  Seed swap parcels are particularly vulnerable as we've seen recently.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 12:30:41 »
Last year I sent someone quite a few seeds for *Start Up*. I didn't get a thank-you or see that person online again. I was taken in with the sob story.
Not for a second time will this happen.
In general most gardeners are very generous with sharing, but this has burnt my fingers. It's a shame, it's spoilt it for a genuine case  :(

Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 13:08:25 »
Last year I sent someone quite a few seeds for *Start Up*. I didn't get a thank-you or see that person online again. I was taken in with the sob story.
Not for a second time will this happen.
In general most gardeners are very generous with sharing, but this has burnt my fingers. It's a shame, it's spoilt it for a genuine case  :(

Lauren

Same here, I've sent seeds a few times, and most times never found out if they arrived; a pm to say they've arrived and thank you would have been nice, especially since I didn't ask for anything in return.  >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 13:11:53 »
I have found that the vast majority of people who ask for seeds on this forum are genuine.  I've had some lovely 'thank yous', not to mention stamps back to cover the postage (unasked for) or surprise seeds in return.  That said, there is always going to be the odd 'bad apple' who spoils our natural inclination as gardeners to share which results, as Lauren says, in us becoming less inclined to respond to such requests.

I hope that despite these isolated bad experiences we can continue to pass on our spares to those who need them, swap seeds and have pass the parcels.  If I have spare seeds to offer I have learnt not to mention it if the pack is unopened (I assume that these are easier to sell on if that is the intention) and I must admit that, like Betula, I am wary about responding to requests for seeds from brand new posters, particularly if they post a long list of things they want including varieties!  But if someone asks for 'a few bean seeds' for instance and I had some spare, I'd probably send them on.  All I'd expect in return would be a PM to let me know that they had arrived safely.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 13:22:19 »
I've posted and recieved seeds, folk always p.m. to say thanks, or have I just been lucky??
You couldn't make it up!

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 13:45:28 »
Hi all

I saw this thread and felt a bit  of a cringe come over me!  I posted such a request the other day and so I now feel absolutely guilt-ridden as I can understand where you are coming from if you have had a bad experience!  I even included a line which might well be interpreted as a 'sob story'- ggrrrr!  However we as a family had had a very very hard last 2 years and saw the allotment as an escpae and something to give us a reason to get outside and do something worthwhile and so good for the soul.  Now I feel doubly awful.

All I can say is that the request was genuine and that the response has been exactly the same with a few really kind offers. I have offered to send a stamped, addressed envelope to a few posters to at least cover costs though most have been so kind as to say not to worry.  For everyone who offered to help I intended to note their ID and later send something nice as I get up and running and build a stock of seeds.  I know talk is cheap for some but I was sincere.

Anyway, I am really sorry if anyone is offended by my request and totally understand the slightly negative viewpoint of some as a bad experience would harden anyone's attitude.  I may not be a big Christian but I do have a rather over-sized sense of civic duty and I will endeavour to repay anyone who has been so kind and my heart has been so warmed by all the kind responses.

Hoping I have not upset anyone or gone against the etiquette.

Simon
x

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 14:03:40 »
I do hope I've acknowledged any seeds, cuttings, etc I've been sent. ???.
I agree, most people who ask for seeds are genuine, I would hate to get to where I wouldn't send seeds out for fear of them being sold..
psi, you've been much too active on this site to be a fraud.. :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 14:31:17 »
Hello Psi

I must admit I was not sure about you as you have only made about seven posts since July.I have found in the past that people who do not post very much ,have taken the seeds and gone.On the other hand people who are active,I have never had a prob with.You live and learn.

From your last post you seem to be genuine and I wish you and your family good luck on the lottie :)

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 14:41:41 »
Betula,
I don't post often, but click on this site most days, I had some Stuffa tomato seed sent to me by a member which was appreciated, and brought them packets of seeds back from Thailand for which I was thanked, all done by PM, so could you put me on your files as a thank-er who gives more than he gets, thank's.   ;)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 14:43:50 »
Can only speak about my own experience :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 14:47:51 »
I have always found people on this site to be extremely generous as i have asked for quite a few different things, however i only ever ask for what i can use (only got a small garden) i have also found people very appreciative of what i have sent them too, i think its swings and roundabouts on the whole but i do know what you mean betula, i even remember someone asking for seeds and when they were told it was not a full packet told the sender not to bother as they were of no use to them at all  :o :o.
PSI i am happy to offer you my seeds, i do not need them so im happy to offer them
it is sad that the few make it bad for the rest but on the whole i think this site polices itself very well and long may it continue ;D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 14:52:07 »
Yep I'm with you Debster, although I understand your frustration Betula.  I've sent seeds to a few people and received some from others (as far as I know I've always pm'd and said thanks - if I haven't then my sincerest apologies!), so far I've always had thanks in return and in some instances a few seeds.  Not to mention the invaluable advice and support from all the fab people on here - best allotment site on the web in my humble opinion  :)
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 15:15:12 »
I was speaking to one of the older guys on the plots last weekend and told him I'd had a wheelbarrow and a few other things stolen and he said something that I totally agreed with - where there are people there will be some evil.  He went on to say that like the news we only ever mention the bad things not the good.  He's right.  We've had a hell of a 2 years so I have something of a better perspective on life these days and I intend to see the good and ignore the bad and just let people live the way they see fit.  Trust and hope are beautiful things!

Psi

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 15:31:56 »
I think that anyone not genuine soon gets found out and hopefully they are few and far between.
I suppose that initially we have to trust our instincts when it's someone new.
I'm glad to say that so far I've received and sent seeds without problems and look forward to carrying on doing so.

This is a good topic Betula, with plenty of thoughtful comments.

Psi I also hope that you've not upset anyone as I think that your request is perfectly reasonable.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 15:36:05 »
I think that anyone not genuine soon gets found out and hopefully they are few and far between.
I suppose that initially we have to trust our instincts when it's someone new.
I'm glad to say that so far I've received and sent seeds without problems and look forward to carrying on doing so.

This is a good topic Betula, with plenty of thoughtful comments.

Psi I also hope that you've not upset anyone as I think that your request is perfectly reasonable.

Well put Flighty  :)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 22:03:13 »
The first thing I do when someone, whose name I don't recognise, askd for seeds is check their profile. If it is a complete newbie (I've had several requests from the States!) I reply, politely, that the seeds have all gone.

For the most part, though, I love the give and take of seeds on this forum.

Tricia

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 16:29:27 »
Anyone got 3 pound of Kestrels spare, thxs in advance.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 16:41:34 »
I don't post on here very often (I lurk more often than I post!), but I have asked a couple of times for something.  I hopefully have thanked those who have sent me seeds, but have a feeling one might have slipped through the net (just pm'd to correct the situation!).   Apologies if I've missed anyone else.  :-[

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 16:45:34 »
I'll hijack the allotment seed potato delivery on Saturday, if you are that desperate, Corneykev ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal